Foam

"No...no no no NO NO NO!!"

Jack's heart leapt into his throat as he watched (Y/n)'s eyes roll back, her body going rigid as it began to shake violently. While he had studied seizures in college, it did nothing to help the fact that all he could do was stand here and watch her twitch in his arms.

"(Y/N) STOP, PLEASE STOP!"

His voice cracked as he screamed, knowing full well that it would do nothing to help. He dug his fingertips into her tense arms, fighting every urge to shake her back and forth. Thick, hot tar tears formed in his sockets, blinding his vision even further. This isn't what he wanted, this isn't how it was supposed to be! He was that close!

But as he watched her mouth fall open in a silent scream, he realized that he couldn't just stand here and do nothing. Holding her and begging her to stop wouldn't do anything. Even so, it still took everything in Jack's heart to try and hoist (Y/n) up and run down the hallway to the front door.

Opening the door itself proved to be a difficult task, with (Y/n) seizing violently in his arms. It took all he had not to drop her on the doormat, all with the lashing and tears streaming down his masked cheeks. He yanked at the doorknob so hard he nearly tore it off, but scrambled with it until it turned and the door was flung wide open.

He was pushed back a millimeter by a whip of freezing air, a mound of snow falling into the hall at his feet the second it was let in. It painfully stung with how cold it was on the bare skin, but he wasted no time in wading out into it. He didn't have time to pussyfoot around, his heart pounding in his ears with every violent jerk (Y/n) gave in his arms.

He began to struggle to the top of the mound and into the raging storm outside. His feet slipped and became drenched with cold, yet he kept his companion steady in a tight hold to his torso with one arm, using the other to try and pull them to the top.

More and more snow crumbled beneath him, and he gritted his teeth with every heavy heave he gave to reach the surface, but he made up his mind that he would refuse to give up the second he stepped out the door. (Y/n)'s wrists were starting to shake and twist, her fingers flexing at odd angles. What made Jack glance down at her was a low gurgling in her throat.

Oozing from her mouth was a thick foam, running down her chin and onto Jack's shoulder. He felt his stomach drop into the mounds of snow below when he saw it.

But that was all it took to get him to the top. With a few final shoves, he pulled them to the top and layed gasping.

And with one huge gulp of air, Jack opened his mouth and screamed at the top of his lungs, so loud it made his throat hoarse and a few crows flock from the trees in the forest.

It was carried off with the storm, and he lay there in the snow with (Y/n) twitching atop him. Her voice sounded unfamiliar as she twitched, faint but low growls and gurgles mixed with every shake her body gave.

Jack only moved his hand to grasp at hers, trying to keep it still as it twisted in his palm. Yet, he felt her firm grasp on his hand between the twitches, desperately clinging onto him. It nearly made him smile despite the situation, knowing a piece of her was still there and knew he was with her.

But his thoughts were dragged off by the rush of thudding footsteps. They sounded like a steam train was about to be upon them, and each huff of the creature's breath was panicked and deep.

Seedeater skidded to a stop so fast that he dusted Jack and (Y/n) with a layer of snow, standing huffing above them, buried to his elbows in the fluff. The one eye he bore was wide in panic, and he reached out a hand to tap at Jack's shoulder to see what the problem was.