Essay: Naruto Nerds Welcome

*spoilers galore*

I had the unique experience of watching Naruto all the way through for the first time as an adult, which was also when I got into anime. As a child, I didn't like shows, so my only exposure to Naruto was when I would visit the kid of my parents' friends and it would be on the TV.

That first opening song was so nostalgic when I finally started to tackle this series, but the truth is, I had forgotten nearly everything about the show itself. Over the years, I'd seen plenty about Naruto through all the phases of its existence, but since I wasn't into anime, it didn't affect me.

Even when I got into anime, the sheer number of episodes made me hesitate to watch it until I'd been an avid anime nerd (I don't consider myself an otaku) for three years.

I started the 220 ep Naruto in April 2021, took most of the summer off, then finished it in September 2021. Then, because I was working 7 days a week, finishing my final semester of college, and finding life a general disappointment, I decided December 1, 2021 would be when I started Shippuden.

I devoured Shippuden until nearing the end (I HATE endings) but somehow pulled it together to finish it at the end of June 2022. After floundering lost for a month (god, I HATE endings), I decided my next steps forward into the world of anime.

Since I purchased the dubbed seasons of Shippuden on Amazon Prime, and because of recent financial constraints, I'm now limiting myself to one volume of Boruto a month, so I'm currently around 50 eps at the time of typing this up (October 28, 2022). Anyway, that's been my watching journey so far...

One can't really explain the impact of Naruto. On a cultural, personal, and international level, there is nothing that can compare.

That said, Naruto is full of problems. It's not a perfect story. But I'm not a toxic fan: I see the issues, and I love it anyway. Please don't fight me on my opinions here because art is subjective.

1. The filler was terrible.

In Naruto, the final 80 episodes were pointless filler. In Shippuden, there were probably 100 episodes total of filler. Toward the end of the show, during the final fights, it would be 5 episodes of the fight followed by 13 episodes of filler. This is simply unseemly.

If they had taken the 100 episodes of filler and fleshed out a true epilogue that showed us relationship development that was entirely or mostly skipped in Shippuden and completely glossed over in Boruto...I would have been happier.

Not all the filler was bad, but the timing of it was usually terrible. The chunin exams filler arc was great, but it was sandwiched in the middle of tense, important war scenes.

2. The side characters were treated horribly.

Most of them got a single moment to shine under the sun, then they never progressed in either skill or character again. If they were lucky, they got two moments.

The series continued to introduce characters, completely forgetting the ones still in existence and with more potential than they were allowed to show. When characters aren't allowed to grow and they're placed next to the overpowered MC, they look useless.

All those adults who somehow kept the village safe throughout Naruto's childhood...remember how useless they were in the war against Madara and Obito? Yeah, that's how every side character ended up after their moment under the sun was over.

3. The women weren't allowed to be strong.

I was not part of the fandom during the era of crazy Sakura hating, and I'm glad I wasn't. I don't understand the hatred toward her at all. I love Sakura, and I love her characters faults. I could write an essay about how great of a character she is, but this is already over 1,500 words...