8.2

Written: 2/24/23
Word Count: 2,501

Voice beginning to tremble on the edges, I tried to make my words loud enough to be heard

Voice beginning to tremble on the edges, I tried to make my words loud enough to be heard. "You promised me. You promised me veto power whenever she came to me. I don't know what this is about. I'm not blaming you one-sidedly—I don't know anything. But right now, those kids are out there, sitting in the car, wondering what the hell is happening."

Evan hovered there, looming, until a familiar warmth returned against my back.

When Kakashi spoke, it was with that happy-go-lucky voice that made chills run down my spine in warning. "Seems like a reasonable suggestion. We wouldn't want the children sitting outside for however long this takes, would we?"

"What the hell do you know about it? Dressed like some freak—who the hell even are you, weirdo?" Evan nearly growled, his light eyes covered up under his frowning brow.

My heart juddered in my chest. It was pounding so loud, I almost couldn't hear anything but the beat, beat, beat.

"E-Evan—" I started, sternly, but Kakashi interrupted.

"Didn't you hear her?" A weight landed on the top of my head, and I froze.

Did—Did Kakashi just rest his chin on my head?

"I'm the roommate."

Silence wound tighter than a bowstring effused my tiny living room. Tenna's pitiful whimpers met with the kittens' hungry mewling. As time ticked down, waiting for Evan to make his decision, I wondered what kind of expression Kakashi was making under his mask.

Finally, with an agitated sigh, Evan tugged at those long strands of hair poking onto his forehead. "Fine. Fucking fine. Kamron—or whatever—you better not lay a hand on my girl."

Kakashi snorted, and that was that.

I wondered if I should feel insulted that Kakashi had thoroughly rejected the possibility of making a move on my sister, but I was too busy fighting the grin that rose, unprompted, onto my cheeks, twisting them into a smile before I could even try to stop it.

"I'm going to go see my girls," Evan continued. "Is that alright, your royal highness?"

Not even acknowledging Evan's tantrum, I sat beside my sister on the couch.

"I'm going to drive the girls over, now, okay?" I tucked her beneath my arm, frowning at the faint tremble making its way through her limbs. "Wait here. You'll be safe with Kaka—Kamron."

I glanced at Kakashi. He tilted his head in question. Or assurance. I'm not sure.

A crease formed between my brows as the weight of all the things I had to say got sealed up, tucked away for another time.

Is this right? Is it okay to walk out like this?

What's the difference between me walking out without saying anything and yesterday, when he walked out without saying anything?