Part 12

Andromeda laughed at her husband's remark. The flickering candle provided an adequate amount of light. Abyssaldrift dug into his plate, placing a piece of steak into his mouth. "Have you heard from the messenger yet? I am quite eager to hear about the progress Harbinger is making."

Abyssaldrift snorted, "Knowing him he's probably barely achieved anything." While Abyssaldrift was joking, he wasn't too off from the far truth.

"Oh don't be mean. He's a good man at heart, just a little... slow." Andromeda chuckled, She sliced the soft steak with her talon, the steak oozing with fat. "Chef cooked well, nice and seasoned."

"Let's move away from the food and more towards politics. I sent word to the Sea'wings yesterday about the debt they owe to us. And about the Sky'wings, I say we move the hybrid and Harbinger back to the kingdom. We'd be a better fit to train him. And he can be 'appropriated' with Night'wing culture." Abyssaldrift smirked at the lost thought, he would indeed train the dragon, thoroughly.

"Well, I would also like to make peace with the Sky'wings, they're bloody rich! Plus they're centered in the middle of all those caverns and valleys, perfect home for our tribe."

Abyssaldrift nodded in response, still the smirk on his face; before placing another cut of steak into his mouth. The stone doors rattled, someone was knocking. Andromeda sighed, "Give me a moment dear." She got up from her seat and walked to the reinforced doors, opening them.

A messenger stood at the other side of the door, quickly bowing his head as the Queen stood in front of him. "You know not to disturb us at this hour." The Queen spoke in a professional yet stern tone.

"Of course your majesty, but you requested I inform you immediately on the progress about the hybrid?" The Night'wing stared up at her, being almost two thirds of her height.

The Queen nodded, "Ah yes, the hybrid, please, indulge me." 

The messenger took out a scroll from his pouch, unraveling it, and reading: "I have not made any significant progress, Queen Gemstone has impeded such efforts which her constant arena and the fights the hybrid is sentenced to. His wings have been torn and he has a few unhealed wounds at the moment, undergoing medical care. I will write to you again shortly, your majesty. I hope this incident will not occur again as I will take personal care in the supervision of their training." The dragon finished reading, then looked up at the Queen waiting for her response.

Queen Andromeda sighed, "This better not repeat, I want that dragon able to take down tens of Ice'wings with ease, not sit around licking his wounds. We are the dragons paying, it was supposed to be the Sky'wings' job to make sure he doesn't fall over and die like a coward."

The messenger nodded, shutting the scroll. "I will inform the others, thank you for your time, Your Majesty." The dragon bowed, before stepping back from the door and beginning to leave.

"Oh, and tell them to hurry up. We need more soldiers, fast." The Queen added, before promptly closing the door. She turned to her husband, who was still sitting by the table. "I can see it all in your eyes."

"Don't even say anything." Abyssaldrift cut off his wife, rage clearly bubbling inside of him. "At the least I was correct, that dragon gets nothing accomplished." Abyssaldrift silenced himself, before continuing to poke at his meal with a silent frown.

"Well, I think it is a perfect setup for a demonstration if he fails, but as I said, we have to wait till the end of the month. Then we'll see what to do with him." Andromeda sat back down at her seat, now pecking at her meal.

A couple days later...