Chapter 08: Halloween

Elliot sat on the couch, watching Jeremy repeatedly dialed the Donovan girl's phone number in worry. They had been at this state for thirty minutes after Vicki had called Jeremy with distraught and disheveled words that worried booth brothers.

"You gotta call me, Vic," Jeremy said into the voicemail, eyebrows furrowing, "What's going on with you? Just......just call me please."

"Hey," Elena entered the house, startling them at her sudden appearance, "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you guys."

"So, um, do you guys wanna hang out tonight?" She continued, seeing their disregard to the scare and looking at Elliot, and hesitantly proposed, "I thought about what you said before......and uh, I thought we haven't been able to have fun since.....you know......so, um, I was thinking if we could go to the Halloween thing at school? Could be fun."

"Of course, I would love to," Elliot immediately replied with a smile, making Elena sighed in relief.

Jeremy glanced at his brother for a moment and shrugged, "Cool. Sure. Sounds fun.......I think? Can't wait."

"Uh, Jeremy?" Elena called, halting Jeremy in his step, "I know you're upset about Vicki. I heard she called Matt. But you can't be with her," Elliot's eyes widened in shock at the words she was saying as she continued, "She needs to get better. The best thing you can do for her is let her go."

Elliot stood up, a frown appearing on his face as he waited for an argument prepared to break out, and just like he predicted, Jeremy turned around and questioned, "What does that even mean, 'let her go'? Oh, okay sure. Since we're such experts on letting people go right?"

"I know you may not see it, but trust me Jer. It's for the best," Elena argued.

"Look, for months after mom and dad died, I felt like crap, like "nothing really even mattered" crap. Now all of a sudden, I get these moments and things started to feel just a little bit better, and Vicki was in every single of 'em. So you may not see it, but trust me. Keeping me away from her is not for the best," A loud ding caught his attention and his eyes lightened up as he typed quickly on his phone.

"Elliot?" Elena looked up at him for support.

His gaze traveled from her and to Jeremy, then he shrugged at his little sister who was nearly a head shorter than him, "I'm sorry, Elena. I don't see any reason that Jeremy should't be with Vicki. But is there a reason why you said she needs to get better? Is she in some kind of trouble?"

"Yes."

"Is that why you don't want Jeremy to be with her?"

"Yea..."

"Vicki is in trouble? What kind of trouble is it? Is it serious? How do we help her?" Jeremy blurted out quickly, staring intently at his sister.

"No, it's not serious. But you can't help her," She said sternly, "Stefan's already helping her."

"You're kidding right?" Jeremy questioned in disbelief, "You let your boyfriend who doses't even know Vicki to help her. But you won't let me help her?!"

"Jeremy, calm down," Elliot interjected, putting a hand on his shoulder, "Let Elena explain, yeah?"

Elena opened her mouth as Jeremy glared at her for answers and Elliot looked at her with anticipation, and her mind struggled to find an explanation without revealing the supernatural world. She managed to blurt out before stomping upstairs to her room, "I– you just can't, okay?"

The two brothers shared a look with each other, then Jeremy scoffed under his breaths as he also disappeared into his rooms, leaving a tired Elliot, sighing heavily as he pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration.