The Best Laid Plans

Taylor took one more look in the mirror as her hands nervously smoothed down her skirt.

"Are you sure this is alright?"

She turned to look at her boyfriend of six months. He was lounging on the bed watching her with that gleam in his blue eyes, so much like hers yet so different, and his lips were curved into a smile.

"You're beautiful, love." He moves to stand behind her with his hands rubbing her shoulders reassuringly. "My family is going to love you just as much as I do, no matter what it is you're wearing."

He kissed the back of her head and breathed in the scent of her shampoo. She'd straightened her hair, and he loved feeling her silky blonde locks against his skin, though not as much as he loved tangling his hands in it when they kissed...

"Okay." Taylor let out a relieved sigh. "Let's go."

He happily complied, and the couple were quick to make their way down into one of Taylor's cars. He smiled at her softly once they were settled, and he started the vehicle. The house she'd been renting the last several months was just a few minutes drive from his parents' place, so she'd felt safe enough to give her security the night off.

They rode in comfortable silence, and Taylor was even becoming quietly excited about meeting her lover's family for the first time. If they were half as wonderful as Joe, she knew she had nothing to worry about. He'd spent weeks trying to convince her that they wouldn't care about how the media portrayed her, that they'd treat her the same as any of the other, few girlfriends he'd introduced to his family, and she'd finally agreed to trust his words.

"You ready, baby?" Joe opened Taylor's door and held out his hand to her.

"I'm ready." Taylor blushed as he helped her out of the car.

He knew he was strutting a little as he walked her up to the front door, but he couldn't help himself. He had his girl on his arm, and he was proud to finally introduce her to his family as just that, his girl, the woman he loved. His own cheeks got a bit pink as he suddenly found himself imagining her cooking Christmas dinner with his mum one year or cuddling up to him on the couch as they watched a rugby match with his dad and brothers.

Joe used his key to get them in the door, but he motioned for Taylor to wait by the small entryway while he stepped around to the opening into the family room.

"Hello, everyone," he greeted his family with an excited gleam in his eye.

"Joe, is your mystery girl here or are you finally ready to admit that you made her up?" Patrick teased his older brother.

Joe just rolled his eyes at his younger brother's words.

"Well, is she here?" Elizabeth prompted her son with a grin. She'd been waiting for months to meet the woman who'd been monopolizing her boy's time.

"Yes, she's here. I just wanted to say hi before I introduced her to you. Mum, Dad, guys, this is my girlfriend, Taylor." He held his hand out for her to take and pulled her to his side.

Taylor couldn't help but smile when she stood at Joe's side, and when she was looking at him, she missed the side-eyed glances between the other four Alwyns.

"That's Taylor Swift," Patrick muttered under his breath so that only his oldest brother could hear.

Tom bumped him with his shoulder and sent him a warning glare to shut up.

"It's nice to meet you all. Thank you for having me." Taylor turned to face them with a polite smile on her face. She was still nervous, but she wanted to coo at Patrick the second she saw him. He looked exactly like a younger version of Joe seated on the couch.