Fast-Track

"Stop stressing."

Taylor looked down at Joe's hand on her thigh, and let out a deep breath.

"That's not helpful," she replied seriously. "You aren't the one whose hormones are getting all fucked up by this, and you haven't spent the past week feeling like you're going to throw up about fifty-percent of the time."

Joe nodded slowly. He glanced down at Taylor's abdomen.

"You're right," he agreed, and leaned over to catch her eye. "I don't have to deal with that, but I'm so thankful that you're willing to do it for our baby. Whatever you're feeling is valid. I just want to be here for you."

Taylor's lips turned up in a small smile. She still found it hard to believe she'd managed to find someone so understanding with whom to share her life. And to share in this unexpected new journey with her.

"Thank you." She gave him a short kiss, and felt the car stop. "Just don't drop my hand tonight, okay?"

She held said hand out to him as they exited the car, and prepared to walk into her parents' house.

"Never."

Joe brought their joined hands up to leave a kiss on hers.

Just then, the door opened, and Andrea beamed out at the couple.

"Taylor, honey, welcome home." Andrea hugged her daughter quickly. "And you must be Joe. Your parents were a bit ahead of schedule, so we've just been getting to know each other in the living room."

"It's lovely to meet you, Andrea." Joe said sincerely, but he couldn't deny his own case of nerves was now creeping up on him. "Thank you for hosting us all."

"Oh, nonsense. We're glad to have you." Andrea patted his shoulder. "They've been asking about you both, and Scott's eager to meet you, Joe."

A chill ran down his spine. Somehow, he'd almost forgotten about the reality of meeting Taylor's father...and having to simultaneously tell him that he, Joseph Alwyn, had gotten Taylor pregnant after being together just four months. Joe glanced down when he felt Taylor squeeze his hand three times, and he snuck a quick kiss to her cheek.

"Scott, this is Joe. Elizabeth, Richard, this is Taylor."

Andrea got the introductions out of the way as they entered the room. Taylor squeezed Joe's hand, before she released him briefly, in order for them both to greet the other's parents.

"It's so nice to meet you both. Joe's told me a lot of great stories about you both, and his brothers."

Taylor reached out and shook Richard's hand firmly. Joe had mentioned his dad wasn't a big hugger, even though he was a very warm and caring man.

"Taylor, dear, we've so been looking forward to meeting you. Joe hasn't stopped going on about you since the two of you first struck up a friendship last year." Elizabeth gave her son a teasing glance, as she pulled the beautiful young woman in front of her into a hug. "And you're just as stunning in person as he described you."

Taylor laughed quietly at Elizabeth's words, but happily returned her hug. Her nerves were still there, but they seemed so welcoming.

"Thank you so much. I hope your flight from New York went well." Taylor smiled. "Joe said it sounded like the two of you had a wonderful time."

"It was fantastic," Elizabeth confirmed. "We rarely travel to the States for holiday, but we always have a nice time in New York."

Taylor smiled, and turned to watch her boyfriend greet her father for the first time. Hopefully, her dad would have a good impression off the bat, and wouldn't take their news too badly.