6. Aslan's How

"So, how have you lived this long?" Edmund asked as they walked through the woods.

Caspian led the way with Zoelle beside him while the four kings and queens walked just behind them.

"I do not know," Zoelle admitted. "After the Telmarines attacked, I was gravely injured. Then, one day I awoke to find several hundred years had passed. I had just stumbled upon a road when I was found, but they thought the same as everyone else: that I was a Telmarine. Miraz took me to the castle and made a present of me to his wife. I worked as a servant until I could bare it no longer. I had had some thoughts of trying to take them down from within, but I realized it was hopeless with so few to fight with me."

She paused a moment before admitting, "Caspian tried to help me escape, but I sacrificed myself so he could get away. Trumpkin and I both did, even if he didn't know what he was...doing."

Zoelle came to a stop as they came to the edge of the woods. A large clearing faced them and in the centre of it was the How. Great terraces of stone rose high in the air, all of which surrounded, as Zoelle knew, the Stone Table.

"This is where I awoke," she said softly, glancing at Caspian who was the only one who had not moved forward with the others.

After another moment, they both followed the four kings and queens until they reached the stone path down to the entrance. There, Caspian and Zoelle stopped while the other four proceeded. Centaurs had swords raised in salute as the four passed under them. Taking Caspian's hand into her own, Zoelle nudged him forward.

"I'm sorry I never told you," she said softly.

Looking up in surprise, Caspian said, "It's all right. There's no reason you should have told me." He hesitated a moment before asking, "But if you are the rightful Queen of Narnia, why did you pledge your loyalty to me?"

They had just reached the doorway of the How, but when he asked the question, Zoelle stopped, pulling him to the side to let the rest of the Narnians pass.

When they all had, she said, "I failed them, Caspian. I failed the Narnians. I won't put myself in a position to fail them again."

"You didn't fail them, Zoelle," Caspian said gently, taking her hands in his own. "You were overpowered."

"All of this is my fault, Caspian!" Zoelle retorted, tears springing to her eyes. "My people have been oppressed all this time because of me." Taking a step closer to him, she said, "But you have the power to change everything, Caspian. You can fix it all. The Golden Age is over. It's time for your reign."

"Your father doesn't seem to think so," Caspian remarked, not meeting her eyes.

"Cas," Zoelle said softly, cupping his cheek and tilting his head so he was facing her. "You were born to unite Narnia, and nobody, not even my father, can change your destiny."

"Caspian!" a voice from inside called.

Zoelle jumped, lowering her hand from where it had lingered on his cheek and adverting her gaze. Glancing quickly between her and the entrance to the How, Caspian slipped past her and disappeared inside.

"It may not be what you are used to, but it is defensible," Caspian was saying as Zoelle entered.

"Peter, you may want to see this," Susan said, appearing in the doorway of one of the passages.

Glancing at one another, Peter, Edmund, and Lucy followed their sister as Zoelle and Caspian trailed behind. The hallway to which she had led them was covered in carvings stained with colour of the four kings and queens. Zoelle stopped at the very end as she saw a carving of her father and mother standing together.

Trailing her fingers over the carving, she whispered, "Mum."

"It's us," Susan said. "And look."

Everyone turned to where she was pointing. It was a carving of Zoelle herself, dressed in a gown of the deepest turquoise.

"What is this place?" Lucy asked.

"You do not know?" Caspian said in surprise.

"I built the How, not them," Zoelle explained. Glancing back at them, she said, "Come, and I will show you."

Taking the torch from Caspian's hands, she led them down the winding passage until they reached a large room. Lighting the river of oil, Zoelle set aside the torch and watched their faces as they stared in awe at the carving of Aslan, poised above Aslan's table. Lucy stepped forward slowly, laying her hand on the stone cautiously.

Turning back to look at her siblings, she said, "He must know what he's doing."

"I think it's up to us now," Peter said in a hard voice.

Frowning, Zoelle glanced at Caspian before exclaiming, "What?"

Turning to face her, Peter said, "Aslan hasn't revealed himself. This isn't like last time when he just showed up and saved the day."

"Well, of course not, but...why would that mean it's entirely up to us?" Zoelle asked in confusion. "We may not be able to just sit around waiting for him, but without faith in Aslan, what is the point of Narnia?"

Ignoring her, Peter said, "Gather everyone we have."

Caspian and Zoelle glanced uncertainly at one another, their brows furrowed in concern.