14. The Birth of a New Kingdom

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man," Caspian said, facing the group of gathered Telmarines. "Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to, but for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers."

The Narnians stood on a raised platform facing the Telmarines. Zoelle was standing by Caspian, clad in a dress of the brightest blue that fluttered around her in the wind.

"It's been generations since we left Telmar," a Telmarine near the front said.

"We're not referring to Telmar," Zoelle said.

"Your ancestors were seafaring brigands," Aslan said. "Pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens. It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start."

After a short pause, a voice near the back said, "I'll go. I will accept the offer."

Looking up, Zoelle saw General Glozelle.

As he passed, Prunaprismia glanced down at her son in her arms and said, "So will we."

They and another man Zoelle knew to be her father approached.

Fixing his great eyes on Glozelle, Aslan said, "Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good."

He let out a long breath, and, turning from the four Telmarines, unravelled the tree that grew on the ledge. Without hesitation, they moved forward, but as Prunaprismia passed Zoelle, she paused. Caspian moved to step towards her, but Zoelle shook her head at him, facing the former queen with an unwavering stare.

"I-I'm sorry, Zoelle," she said in a quivering voice. "For everything he did to you...everything I-"

She broke off, tears filling her eyes. After another moment's hesitation, she dropped into a curtsey before turning and disappearing into that other world. Zoelle stared after her with a surprised expression.

"Where'd they go?"

"They killed them!"

"How do we know he's not leading us to our death?"

"Sire, if my example can be of any service, I will take eleven mice through with no delay," Reepicheep said bravely.

"We'll go," Peter said.

Zoelle instantly rounded on them, her brows furrowed as Edmund said, "We will?"

"Come on," Peter said, facing his siblings, "Our time's up." He turned to face Caspian and Zoelle as he said, "After all, we're not really needed here anymore."

Peter took his sword and sheath off his belt and held it out to Caspian.

Taking it in his hand, Caspian said, "I will look after it until your return."

"That's just it," Peter said quietly, shifting his eyes to Zoelle. "We're not coming back."

"We're not?" Lucy exclaimed.

"You two are," Susan said.

"At least, I think he means you too," Peter added.

"But why?" Lucy asked, looking at Aslan. "Did they do something wrong?"

"Quite the opposite, dear one," Aslan replied. "But all things have their time. Your brother and sister have learned what they can from this world. Now it's time for them to live in their own."

"But-" Zoelle said, trying to keep the tears in her eyes from spilling over. "I just got to meet you."

"It's all right, Zoe," Peter said, wrapping his arms around her. "I'm so proud of you, and I know that Adelaide would have been too."

"I'm sorry for everything I said about you. I was wrong, completely wrong," Zoelle said through tears, holding onto him tightly.

"No, you were right," Peter said thickly through his own tears. "You were completely right. I just didn't want to hear it. I love you, Zoelle. We'll see each other again, one day."

"Okay," she replied, pulling away from his embrace and hugging Lucy.

Once all the goodbyes had been said, the four turned towards the exit, but before Peter had followed his three siblings back into their own world, he suddenly came to a stop and turned to Caspian.

"Remember what I said," he called. "There are no perfect moments."

Caspian only hesitated an instant before he said, "Zoelle."

She turned towards him, but before she could ask him what any of that meant, Caspian had gently pressed his lips to hers, tangling his hands in her loose hair. Zoelle gasped in surprise, moving her hands to his chest as he bent down closer to her height to deepen the kiss. Caspian pulled away gently, pressing his forehead against hers. Zoelle's cheeks had turned a beautiful shade of pink that only added to her beauty as she looked up at him rather shyly but with undeniable affection.

"Take care of her, Caspian," Peter said with a faint smile.

"I will," he promised.

Caspian and Zoelle looked up towards where Peter stood smiling by the unwound tree. He took one last look at Narnia, then his daughter, and disappeared back into his own world.