9. A Waltz With Lady Death

The Narnian troops were just beginning to retreat when Caspian, mounted on Destrier, who he had stolen from the stables, rode past and happened to catch sight of Zoelle's body lying motionless. Cursing himself, he redirected the horse to her side. Dismounting, he caught her up in his arms and quickly mounted again. The ache in his chest only worsened as they rode on, leaving behind at least a hundred good Narnians to the mercy of Miraz's bowmen.

⥖✦☽☾✦⥗

When they had at last returned to the How, everyone was rather stony-faced. Edmund and Peter, who led the party, were both more solemn than the others.

"What happened?" Lucy asked, confused as to their small numbers.

"Ask him," Peter retorted.

"Peter," Susan said reproachfully.

"Him?" Edmund replied in frustration, pointing back at Caspian. "You could have called it off, Peter. There was still time."

"No there wasn't, thanks to him," Peter retorted, turning back to the How.

"Stop it!" Susan shouted as Caspian dismounted, lowering Zoelle's body to the ground.

Her heart, while still beating, barely did so, and all the colour had drained from her cheeks. Lucy instantly rushed forward, reaching for her cordial as she did so. Caspian was not able to keep back tears as he knelt beside her, gently moving her long hair out of her face.

"Zoelle, please," he whispered, his voice thick with tears. "I can't- I can't lose you too."

Lucy got the stopper undone and opened Zoelle's mouth just enough to allow a drop to fall into her mouth. Everyone was deathly silent as they waited, daring to hope they had lost one less than they'd thought. Then, with a harsh gasp, Zoelle shot up, breathing in and out harshly.

"Hey, hey," Caspian said quickly, catching onto her by the shoulders. "You're all right. You're all right."

"Caspian," she whispered, wrapping her arms around him tightly and beginning to sob.

More tears streamed down his cheeks as he held her tightly, burying his head in her shoulder.

"I thought I'd lost you," he said through tears, pulling away just enough to cup her cheeks.

"No, I'm right here. I'm right here," she said, glistening tears streaming down her beautiful face as she smiled so dazzling a smile that Caspian couldn't help smiling himself.

Kissing her forehead, Caspian wrapped his arms around her again. Peter stared at them for a moment, his expression vacant, before turning on his heel and disappearing inside the How.

As it transpired, almost dying, magical healing or not, was extremely draining, so Zoelle soon, with the help of Caspian, found herself laying down on something soft and warm with blankets covering her. Once she had fallen asleep, Caspian left the room and disappeared down one of the long passageways.

⥖✦☽☾✦⥗

"Are you so glad of that magic horn now, boy?" Nikabrik asked snidely, approaching Caspian as he stood alone, staring at the carving of Zoelle. "Your kings and queens have failed us. Your army's half dead, and those that aren't will be soon enough."

"What do you want, congratulations?" Caspian retorted wearily, shifting his gaze from the dwarf back to the carving.

Following Caspian's eyes, Nikabrik said, "If the kings and queens had not led that attack against your uncle, she would never have come that close to dying."