13. The Great Lion

"Rise, kings and queens of Narnia," Aslan said. "Rise river god."

Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Berunan rose.

When neither Zoelle or Caspian rose, he prompted, "All of you."

"I do not think I am ready," Caspian admitted, looking up at the lion.

"It's for that very reason I know you are," Aslan said.

When Caspian had risen to his feet, Aslan looked at Zoelle who was looking at him with uncertainty.

She hesitated a moment before she said, "I failed them once, Aslan. I can't let myself do that again."

"Daughter," Aslan said gently in his deep voice. "You did not fail. From darkness, beauty and light are born. It is only in the darkest places that hope shines brightest. You have done well, my daughter. Rise, Queen Zoelle, Goddess of the River."

She hesitated another moment before looking up at Caspian. Holding out his hand to her, he said, "Narnia could never ask for a kinder, braver, or more gracious queen."

Zoelle's cheeks flushed pink as she averted her gaze. She only waited another moment before she looked up into his eyes, accepted his hand, and rose gracefully to her feet. Even when she had risen, neither let go of the other's hand.

"You once pledge your loyalty to me, Zoelle," Caspian said in a soft voice. "Now, I pledge my loyalty to you in return."

Then, he kissed her hand.

⥖✦☽☾✦⥗

The trip to the Telmarine castle, which was to be the main castle until Zoelle and Caspian could restore Cair Paravel, took less time than any of them had expected. It was a wonderful luxury to walk about Narnia without fear of interference or attack, and the thrill of it was so great, Zoelle couldn't help beginning to sing and dance with Lucy as they walked along through the wild fields and springy forests. The others watched with warm smiles on their faces as the two girls danced their way to the castle.

As they were walking, Caspian turned to Peter and asked, "What was she like? Zoelle's mother?"

Peter was silent so long Caspian thought he might have overstepped, but before he could say something to eliviate the awkwardness, Peter said, "She was exactly like Zoelle. She was the kindest, bravest, most beautiful woman I've ever seen, perhaps will ever see. And she never seemed to get enough of the beauty of Narnia. She would sing and dance her way everywhere, just like Zoelle is now."

"I'm sorry you lost her," Caspian said softly, turning his eyes to the captivating woman before him and wondering what it would be like to lose her.

Peter glanced over at him a moment before he said, "I didn't lose her. She lives on as clearly as if she was still here...through Zoelle." Coming to a stop, Peter said, "Caspian, I don't know how much longer my siblings and I have here, but...please promise me that you'll look after Zoelle for me."

"Of course," Caspian said. "I promise you, I will protect her with my life."

"Thank you," Peter replied as they began walking again. "And Caspian..."

"Yes?"

"I've seen the way you look at her," Peter admitted. "Take my advice and don't wait for some imaginary perfect moment. Every moment you can have with someone you love is a moment you should take and cherish."

Peter moved on ahead as Caspian stared after him before shifting his eyes towards Zoelle. She and Lucy had stopped dancing and were both walking at a leisurely pace arm-in-arm. Her cheeks were flushed with exertion and the sweat on her forehead cast a gleaming sheen across her face, but her lips, those full, pink lips, were twisted in the brightest of smiles. Caspian smiled to himself as he realized, perhaps for the first time consciously, how tenderly he cared for her.

⥖✦☽☾✦⥗

It only took a few more hours until the castle came in sight. Guards instantly began shouting at the sight of them, and as they entered the courtyard, Prunaprismia appeared, staring at them with her eyes wide. Everyone aside from Aslan came to a stop.

In a loud voice, he said, "Narnia now belongs to the Narnians. You are all now under the leadership of King Caspian X and Queen Zoelle."

Prunaprismia's eyes flashed as she saw Zoelle, who she had failed to recognize at first, but after realizing that her husband was not among the Telmarines, she did not utter even a whisper of protest.

Once everything was settled, everyone was shown to a room and left alone to clean themselves. The moment the door shut behind her, Zoelle sank back against it and lowered herself down to the ground. She had only been sitting there for a few minutes when a soft knock sounded behind her.

"Who is it?" Zoelle asked.

"It's me," Caspian said.

Leaning forward, Zoelle opened the door just enough to let him in before shutting it and leaning back against the door again.

Taking a seat beside her, Caspian asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm okay," she said, glancing over at him with a small smile. "I just can't believe it's all over. I'm just struggling to take it all in."

"Yeah," Caspian said softly. "It feels like just moments ago I was living here as a prince under Miraz."

"Yeah," Zoelle whispered. Looking over at him, she said, "I finally figured it out."

"Figured what out?" Caspian asked, propping his chin on his hand.

"Why I was asleep all those years," Zoelle explained. "It's for the same reason the trees and river gods and goddesses were asleep, but instead of staying that way, I eventually woke up."

Taking her hand into his own, Caspian said softly, "I'm glad you did."

"Me too," Zoelle whispered, squeezing his hand gently as a faint blush crossed her cheeks.