Chapter Six

The meadow, Downton

"I'd-a pluck a fair rose for my love... I'd-a pluck a red rose blowing..."
Gwen was softly singing to herself whilst sketching the beautiful meadow. Suddenly, a fair head popped up over the hedge. It was James. "Hullo Gwen," he said, walking over and plonking himself next to her, "I heard you singing. You have a lovely voice." Gwen blushed red and muttered something about her voice sounding like a strangled cat. "What are you doin' here all alone? I thought you an' Anna went to Ripon on your days off," enquired James. "We do normally, but Anna went to visit Mr Bates I thought I'd come here and do some sketching in the peace and quiet." James smiled. "Can I see them then?" he asked. "See what? My sketches? They're not very good," Gwen said, flicking the pages until she reached the one of the daisies in the meadow, backed up by the thick yew hedge. James gave a low whistle. "Cor, you have some talent you do Gwen." She smiled. "You won't think me rude if I carry on?" she questioned. "You go ahead." He sat watching her in a comfortable silence, in sheer bliss.

The Downton Gardens, Downton Abbey

Mary was taking a short stroll through the gardens. Alone of course. Edith was still in London with her beau and Sybil was out riding apparently, with the chauffeur. Riding with a chauffeur! But then again, Lynch was off ill and no one else was free. Still, it was preposterous! She was busy daydreaming about her dear Matthew. Why hadn't she accepted his proposal? She was so stupid! Anyone would think she was Edith! Just as she was mulling everything over, a small slight figure was running towards her. She peered out from under her hat to realise it was Anna running over. "M'lady!" Anna gasped, "they're setting Mr Bates free!" She looked so happy, so ecstatically happy, that even Mary didn't have to force a fake smile. "Oh Anna what wonderful news! Here, sit down with me and you can tell me the full story."

The Savoy Hotel, London

As soon as Michael walked in, he noticed pretty Edith sat at a table alone, waiting for him. "Oh gosh, I do hope I'm not late," he said, walking over and kissing her cheek. "Don't worry, Aunt Rosamund had a dinner at the Denevers tonight so she dropped me off here," Edith smiled. Neither knew how much the other had been looking forward to this evening.

The Servant's Hall, Downton Abbey

Everyone was celebrating Anna's news. Even Thomas and O'Brien who resented Bates. They were all lazing about in front of the fire or in the armchairs, when they heard a familiar tap-tap-tap of a cane. Mr Bates walked into the servant's hall and Anna flung himself into his arms. "Mr Bates! You're back!" To say he looked pleased was an understatement. Everyone was crowding round, offering everyone a drink to celebrate and John realised he really was part of this mish-mash family below stairs.

I'm sorry again for not updating for ages, but there's the stress of Mid-May exams and I'm currently revising for them. Apologies also for the super short chapter, but as well as exams, my brain juice seems to have ran out.

THANK YOU FOR OVER 300 READS!!!

Thank you all for being so patient,

Ivy Xxx

P.S. I've changed my username to @TheUnderButler but don't worry it's still me!!

Gwen Dawson ~ Rose Leslie
Mary Crawley ~ Michelle Dockery
Anna Smith ~ Joanne Froggatt
Michael Gregson ~ Charles Edwards
Thomas Barrow ~ Rob James Collier
Sarah O'Brien ~ Siobhan Finneran
John Bates ~ Brendan Coyle