Chapter 1

Part 1 - "You need to stop bumping into me."

Awẹ́lẹ́wà needed another break.

What was worse than a slow day at the restaurant that would lead to sending the workers home early, was the fact that Lewa needed to take a break every now and then, more breaks than the average waitress. And she knew that it was pissing her manager off. But Lewa couldn't do anything about that. The man usually had a grumpy attitude anyway.

Her work device beeped.

She jumped up on her feet at the far corner of the patio where she'd been sitting.

As soon as she pulled out the device from her black pants, she winced at the sudden loud voice.

She let out a sigh as her manager's voice sounded on the device again.

"Lewa! Your break has been over for a while now. What are you still doing outside? We need you inside now! God, this place is packed."

"I'll be there in a minute."

"Now, Lewa, and I mean -"

Lewa turned off the device before her manager could finish. It was always like this on some days. When you thought the restaurant couldn't get any slower, suddenly, people came rushing in.

As she made her way back inside the restaurant through the back door that led to the patio, she blinked twice as if to register in her mind that the place was turning to chaos.

She began to make her way to the counter to help another customer that had stepped forward when she noticed the occupied table to her left. She stopped and turned towards it to find Nicole, another of her coworkers, looking uncomfortable and ready to take off at any minute. Lewa approached the table.

"What's going on here?" She asked, looking between Nicole and the two men who were seated at the table.

And from the looks on their faces, Lewa could already tell what they'd been up to.

As if ignoring her question or the fact that she was standing there, one of the men tried to reach out to Nicole again, his hand reaching for her waist, causing Nicole to take a step back.

Lewa felt sick in her stomach.

And without thinking, she pushed the man's hand away.

"Look, sir. The fact that my coworker here is trying to be nice to you does not give you the right to harass her. So I suggest that if you cannot keep your filthy hands to yourself, then you can leave the same way you came. We do not tolerate perverted customers like you."

Nicole's mouth fell open as she took another step back next to Lewa. And the man that had tried to grab her had his eyes widened in shock.

Lewa raised a brow, and she could have sworn that she heard someone snickering behind her. But she didn't care if they found her response funny. She couldn't stand people like this who thought they could take advantage of someone who wasn't up to their status. She couldn't stand it when people thought others were weak.

The man seemed like he couldn't take it anymore as he stood up, his friend with him. But then Robert, the manager, came forward.

"Lewa, what's going on here?"

Lewa explained the situation to her manager but felt the anger spring up again the moment he opened his mouth.

"I didn't ask you to return from your break to become a judge, Lewa. Go help Gina and the others."

"Excuse me, sir -" Lewa tried to explain, but Robert raised a hand, dismissing her.

She stood for a second and tried to calm herself down by releasing air from her mouth before leaving and heading towards the counter.