Chapter 10

"Justin, you can't do it higher than me. Watch, I'll go higher now." The girl whom Nicklaus now knew as Mary, giggled as she got everyone's attention. Nicklaus watched as Justin tried to imitate her, only to end up falling flat on his butt. Mary laughed and Justin gave her a frown.

"Justin, let me teach you." Nicklaus heard Lewa say; and he watched in amazement as she bounced up and down, oblivious to his stare, and the way her dress moved up and down along with her. Her laughter caused Mary and Justin to laugh as they circled around her. And before Nicklaus knew it, Mary walked up to him and began pulling him in.

Then all three of them began circling around Lewa who hadn't stopped giggling. Nicklaus wondered how many more sides to her he was yet to see as he watched her laugh like she'd not been annoyed with him some minutes ago for wanting to help her. Nicklaus could feel his heartbeat racing even as a smile tugged at his lips just watching her have fun like the little kids.

"Let's hold hands!" Justin shouted, and Nicklaus watched as Lewa came to herself again as she shifted uncomfortably.

"Justin -" She attempted to say, but Justin had already begun hanging on to Lewa's right hand. Mary's tiny hand was holding Nicklaus's left hand so the only connection left was for Lewa and Nicklaus to hold hands.

Nicklaus swallowed a lump as he stretched his right hand towards Lewa and she hesitated before placing her hand on his. He could feel the heat emanate from her hand to his own, and it was as if he could hear her heartbeat coincide with his as the kids made them move their hands back and forth. He looked in her direction for no reason at all. But maybe to see if she felt that. 

Whatever that was.

The look in her eyes told him that she did, and subconsciously his grip on her tightened. At that point, Justin and Mary had let go of their hands and were now playing with each other. Nicklaus could feel Lewa resisting as she tried to free herself from his hold; but for some stupid reason he was not letting go.

And before neither of them could prevent it, Justin knocked them over and they landed on the floor of the bouncing castle, with Lewa on top of him.

With wide eyes, he continued to stare at her and she did the same. Her eyes grew wider with every passing second it looked like she was going to pass out. And then Mary's laugh caused her to look away immediately. She then got up and quickly moved away from him as if she didn't want to be near him any longer. Nicklaus didn't know why that one action bothered him.

He responded to that by smirking at her, causing Lewa to take another step away from him.

He then raised a brow as he began taking a few steps towards her. He watched as she continued to back away from him, and the fire in her eyes had him glued to the way her eyes shot at him as she moved away with determination until she nearly tripped over the edge of the castle. Nicklaus was quickly at her side. And from his peripherals, he noticed Mary and Justin's eyes had grown wide.

He gritted his teeth as he tried to steady Lewa; and as soon as she felt stable again, she pulled herself away from him.

"Stay away from me." She spat out the words. And Nicklaus had to stifle a laugh.

"That was an accident Lewa and we both know it." He said, not able to hide the smile that now tugged at his lips.

"Oh really?" Lewa shot at him. These past few days he'd avoided her like the plague, and now he was making light of the fact that they'd landed on top of each other. "So this one is an accident to you and not me bumping into you?"

Nicklaus' face immediately grew serious, knowing exactly what she was referring to.

He swallowed a lump. "No, we bumped into each other thanks to those adorable kids." He said, pointing at the kids who had gone from being wide eyed to having cute smiles on their faces.