Chapter 4: Best friends

"AAAAHHH!" Lincoln screamed as he sprang up in his bed. Sweating profusely, he tried to catch his breath.

"I just had a horrible dream that I met a girl named Anne and we got teleported to a crazy world of talking frogs!" He exclaimed, before claiming down. He then sighed and gained a chill smile.

"Good thing it was all just a dream."

"Uh, Lincoln." A too familiar voice said. Lincoln slowly turned his head and saw Anne sitting up on her sleeping mat.

Standing next to her were Sprig, Hop Pop, and Polly. The grandpa frog then croaked.

"Oh..." Lincoln fell back on his mat. "Right."

"Hey, guys. Sleep well?" Sprig greeted them.

"Careful, boy!" Hop Pop suddenly exclaimed, blocking his grandson with his arm. "They could be hungry."

"For your guts!" Polly hopped over in her little bucket, holding a rolling pin like a weapon.

"Dude, relax. We're not gonna eat something that clearly doesn't bathe," Anne said pointing at Hop Pop.

The old frog was very filthy. Dirt and whatever frogs would sweat was staining both his skin and clothing.

And just to add to it, there were flies all around his head.

As the flies buzz all around his head, Hop Pop mouthed his mouth and caught one with his tongue. "Fair point." he admitted.

"See? Told you they were harmless." Sprig said.

"Hmph....she's harmless for now." Hop Pop said sarcastically as he picked up Polly's bucket.

Hop Pop warned the boy before walking up the stairs with Polly. But the tadpole hopped out of her bucket and moved down a few steps to glare at Lincoln and Anne.

"Just give me an excuse to use old Doris here." She threatened the two while patting the rolling pin on her little flipper. Then she turned and hopped out of the room.

"I think the little one wants to kill us." Anne said.

"Oh really, what was your first clue?" Lincoln asked in a tone of sarcasm.

"Yup. So, you must be so excited to be trapped in another world." Sprig exclaimed, before bending back to give the two ex-friends a teasing smile.

"Very jealous." He bent too far back and fell over. "Oh!"

Anne chuckled. "It's not all that. I miss my home and my stuff and especially..." she trailed off as she look at a photo of her friends that she tapped to one of the tree roots running through the house like a pipe. "...my friends."

She pulled off the picture and handed it to Sprig. Lincoln frowned a little as he remembers his only family left.

"Without them, I just feel kind of lost. You know?" She said, looking sad.

"I know what you mean. I miss my grandpa, my family and my only  friends." Lincoln said.

Sprig looked at the two humans. He was feeling sorry for the two, a smile came onto his face as he had an idea.

"Well, then, why don't I be both of your friends in the meantime?"

"What"

"You?"

"Me!"

"You?"

"Come on! I mean the two of you are friends, right?"

Lincoln and Anne glanced at one another for a second, before looking back at Sprig.

"We're not friends," Lincoln said as Anne nods her head in agreement.