Free, But On The Run • Ethan Hunt X Reader • M:I - Rouge Nation*

*This story was originally posted in my 30 Days of Assorted One-Shots book.

Prompt: "Wake up!"

Title: Free, But On The Run

Fandom: Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

Warnings: Descriptions of blood, choking/suffocation and bruises.

Word Count: 4,581 (too long)

Synopsis: Agent Ethan Hunt and Communications Specialist Y/N L/N are on the run from the CIA and every other government organization known to man. Having successfully evaded them for the last four months, it comes as a surprise when the pair find themselves far closer to the jaws of captivity than ever before, with a new, unknown and highly trained figure hunting them down.

----

Free, But On The Run

Rain pounds against and thunder rattles the window as you roll onto your side, blinking a few times against the dim darkness and the rising grain in your eyes.

Fatigue plagues your bleary gaze and your hazy thoughts, but even in your exhausted state, your body just refuses to sleep.

You almost feel a certain jealousy towards the man sleeping soundly at your side, the steady rhythm of his soft breathing keeping you company along with the rain.

It had been quite a day - what was the usual morning grocery and coffee run had turned into a flurry of chaos that even your fuzzy thoughts can still remember oh so vividly.

The minute you'd stepped into the small store, thanking Ethan with a genuine smile as you'd walked through the open door with him following behind on your heels, you'd quickly sensed something wasn't right.

The usual cashier wasn't at her till, nor was the barista behind the counter of the coffee shop off to the side, a welcoming grin upon his features.

Instead, the store was seemingly dead - not a single person to be seen... not even any music playing over the loudspeakers.

Your Partner had instantly grabbed your bicep and pulled you close from behind, earning a light huff from you.

"What is it, Ethan?" You'd whispered, your voice sounding incredibly loud in the already silent space.

His grip around your arm tightens slightly, and that's when you'd noticed you'd both come to a halt.

As well as the darkly clad figure who was standing at the end of the aisle, hood falling over his gaze, a rifle slung over his shoulder, a handgun casually held in his grasp.

"You should know better than to be this predictable, Hunt," He'd rasped, an almost soulless gaze being lifted to meet the pair of you, your own surprised gazes urgently assessing the situation at hand. "It was beyond easy to track you down. And I see you've got yourself a little lady friend. Who's she?"

An anger coupled with fear had swelled within you as Ethan stepped forward, the hand that had been around your bicep touching your shoulder in reassurance as he'd passed you by.

"I was about to ask you a similar question," The Agent standing in front of you had mused, tone laced with something you'd been surprised to hear, a surge of emotions bubbling in your chest.

Protectiveness.

"Who the hell are you?"

At this, the figure had chuckled, the awful, choked sounding sound echoing in the quiet grocery store.