Even In Suffering • Ethan Hunt X Reader • M:I - Fallout*

*Cross-posted from my 30 Days of One-Shots book!

Prompt: Field Medicine / Self First-Aid

Title: Even In Suffering

Fandom: Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Warnings: Gun violence, bullet wounds, blood, death, dislocated knee, broken bones.

Word Count: 4,497 (this literally took me four hours... maybe five...)

Synopsis: When a meeting with a black market seller for a core of plutonium quickly ends up going south, Agent Y/N L/N and the rest of her Teammates quickly find themselves in a situation that might very well end in catastrophe...

----

Even In Suffering

"I'm sorry, what?!"

You can mentally picture the communications specialist's flabbergasted expression on the other end of the phone line, the small device laying idle on the small table in front of you, his voice filtering tinnily through the small speakers.

"Yes, Benji, we're buying three cores of plutonium," Ethan affirms from your side, the ghost of a grin tugging at his lips, even visible in the dim darkness of the sparsely furnished apartment you've both been occupying for just under a month, waiting for your next assignment and laying low.

And it had been on this fateful evening that it had came - through the rain and all.

Though you can't help but notice the nagging feeling of worry in the pit of your stomach...

Or maybe it's just the rather ominous weather plaguing your thoughts.

"From a Black Market seller, too. Can't forget that detail," You chime in with a chuckle upon hearing the huff of disbelief from the man on the other end.

"So they'll be armed."

"To the teeth."

"And we're going in with..."

"Concealed carries only," Ethan states firmly, passing you a glance to which you nod. "That means a handgun and maybe a small knife each."

"Against automatic and semi-automatic rifles? Fantastic."

The enthusiasm in Benji's tone sounds so laced with sarcasm it's almost not even humorous.

But in the dim darkness of the dingy apartment with the relentless rain pounding against the windows, you can't help but laugh aloud.

"When do we meet?"

"Tomorrow afternoon. More details will follow," The man at your side states, though he pauses for a moment, his voice lowering. "Stay safe out there, Benji."

You can practically hear the bewildered smirk on his features.

"I'll try my best. See you two soon."

And with that, the line goes dead.

Leaving just you and Ethan alone in the quiet once more, thoughts of this new objective beginning to occupy the two headspaces.

****

The rather obnoxious sound of the short heels you wear on your feet against the cobblestone beneath them pierces the quiet evening air of Berlin, still damp with the threat of rain, and...

A lingering sense of unease.

"He's late. He's never late," A rather wavering tone sounds from your side, seeming to share your unspoken feeling of apprehension. "That's the one thing I read up on. This guy is never late."