Fevered Realizations • Ethan Hunt X Reader • M:I - Fallout*

*Cross-posted!

Prompt: Fever

Title: Fevered Realizations

Fandom: Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Warnings: N/A

Word Count: 2,143 (finally! a reasonable word count!)

Synopsis: While completing a Mission that quickly goes sideways and ends in a foot race, Agent Y/N L/N begins to realize that though she made it out unscathed of afflictions by her enemies, all might not be as well with her as she believes.

----

[Fevered Realizations]

You haven't felt this awful in a long time.

A long, long time.

Heck, you'd been shot, stabbed, bruised and beaten, but this...

This is just downright awful.

And right now, there's absolutely nothing you can do to mitigate the chills that dance through you, your clammy fingers clutching the knife in your grasp.

"Let's go! Let's go!" You barely hear Benji urge, the truck he's behind the wheel of coming to keep pace beside where you're sprinting, your aggressors quickly gaining on you.

Panting, you holster the knife into your boot in one swift motion beginning the struggle to clamber onto the open tailgate, practically tripping over your own feet, your body suddenly failing you, your strength practically non-existent.

"Here!"

You hadn't even noticed the familiar figure of Luther leaning over the back of the truck, a hand now being extended out towards you.

Which you gladly accept as he hauls you aboard, your back hitting the burlap liner with a thud.

"Where's Ethan?" You manage to somehow pant out between breaths, blinking a few times as if to help clear your thoughts. "We got separated."

The man sitting in the bed of the moving truck you're in just chuckles.

"How much farther, Benji?"

"About twenty meters from where he'd said he'd be!"

Struggling against the swaying of the vehicle as it drives, your aggressors no longer in pursuit, you somehow manage to pull yourself up enough to peer over the side, the city surroundings blurring past you.

Your increasingly tired gaze surveys the area ahead, looking for the familiar figure of your Partner amongst the crowded streets.

"Tell me when you see him," Luther urges from behind you, his own attention focused on the opposite side of the vehicle.

But, you barely can comprehend his words as a sudden wave of fatigue and weakness crashes over you, your hands that had been keeping you upright no longer supporting you.

And as Benji rounds the corner that should bring the three of you to where Ethan said he'd be, you find yourself being tossed around like a ragdoll towards the other side of the truck, crashing into the metal wall in front of your teammate with a thud, unable to do much more than lay there, your blurry gaze wandering the blue skies above.

"What the hell was that?!"

The voices of your Teammates are muddled, almost as if they're as one.

"Y/N just-" You can hear somebody, likely Luther, you figure, muse aloud, bewilderment and concern in his tone, his features appearing over you moments later. "Can you hear me? Blink twice if you can hear me."