- // 03 // Oats -

After the long night, it would only bring another day of humiliation and punishment for a cat, an argument and a sex-filled day for a ferret, and a raven would receive a scorching, vengeful look. Then yet again at night. The arguments' purpose is to arise.

Cosmo wishes for just one typical night. Just one typical night will do. The incessant screaming match between Gemini and Vivian was driving him insane. God Bless if the Ferret provides for their daily needs or if the Raven makes progress. But it doesn't matter if Cosmo improved because, after all, the screaming drowned out his voice.

The meaning of phrases like "There is more than selling your body!" and "Your project is ripping me apart regardless!" truly didn't change at all. Cosmo would then spend this particular night as he always did, thinking about his room, humming to himself, and singing along to the songs until he was sick of them. Then, he would collapse onto his bed, hitting the hay.

----------------------------

When the white-furred cat awoke, Gemini, his best friend and most-chewed-out person, asked him, "How did you sleep?" after watching him drag himself out to the kitchen while tugging on his robe. At the log table, Cosmo would sigh as a bowl of oatmeal with yoghurt on top was placed in front of him. He lifted his head to smile and said, "Take a guess," while looking at the brown and cream ferret.

While smirking and using his clawed fingers to slide a spoon onto the table, Gemini said, "I would want to hope better than normal, but I'm reaching too high though, ain't I?" as he smiled deftly. Cosmo could only nod as he lifted the provided spoon and dipped it into the creamy oats, which he never seemed to get tired of. Gemini slid over to take a seat next to him. It was fortunate that Vivian left early to gather the best herbs before everyone else went scavenging, since it afforded the two of them some alone time.

"I recall how muddy and alone you were when you first arrived here." Gemini began, holding onto a memory that he would never let go of. "Heavily reminded me of myself." Cosmo laughed and said, "I am older than you and you make me seem like a missing youngster at a mall," as he stroked the growing scar over his left eye. Gemini chuckled a little and gave him a playful prod, saying, "Oh shush, I am just saying! Just smelling up to you shaking in the grass, hungry and cold, when I thought I had found a meal."

"You probably could have devoured me if you really wanted to." Cosmo smirked before swallowing another spoonful of oats. "Eh, too bony and chilly; I like my food hot and plump." Cosmo's reply was met with playful agreement from Gemini. After allowing Cosmo to feed him some oats, Gemini said, "You took about a week to come around to us, but when you did...wow, it was worth it." Cosmo laughed and said, "Glad to hear it." "Stop playing right now! I'm serious; I've never had a friend before meeting my closest friend, who is capable of so much awesome shit!" Gemini spoke, sounding more enthusiastic about the subject. Cosmo could just hum; he wasn't a morning talker or a solo talker. He stayed to himself because no one really inquired about him. Gemini was the exact opposite; he made it a point to put himself forward constantly and at every opportunity.

Cosmo was forced to concede, "I can only credit you for smelling me out or I would be bird feed by now, blooming a sapling out of my spleen or kidney, but hey, your nose rescued me." Gemini put a face to the mental image he had created, yet he hummed to Cosmo, "It's my job, and you're cool." He chuckled at his own light-hearted comment.

The discussion continued until Cosmo finished his breakfast and did the dishes, but at that point, he suddenly realised that he needed to pack a tiny satchel bag with his notepad in it and said, "I won't be long, just need to get something small." Since Gemini never did and never forced himself into other people's businesses, he knew Gemini didn't mind that he was only going to the roof to practise drawing skyscrapers and structures. "Yeah, okay. I'll pretend you went out to border patrol if Viv returns." Cosmo grinned and knelt down to knot the laces on his Converse while saying, "Thanks Gem, I can always trust you." He got to his feet and embraced the large ferret he regarded as a buddy. Gemini gladly gave it back. Gemini then muttered to him, "Stay Safe out there." Cosmo could only nod. The cat climbed the ladder and approached the door, knapsack over his shoulder. He then turned the knob. Before advancing, he offered his waving pal one more smile.

"Gem, I'll see you shortly. Hold tight."