Chapter 2: Its A Dog Fight

1 Month Later

Matrix, Ghost, Hurricane, and I make our way to the lockers to get ready for our next mission. Well, it's not exactly a mission. It's really just a training exercise. One that our commanding officer made sure to tell us not to screw around. Apparently there would be a lot of media coverage about it. We're gonna be doing a dog-fighting exercise with a couple of Japanese pilots today. We've been practicing with them a lot recently, mainly to show the Chinese and Russians that they're not the only ones with friends. I don't see how it's a big deal but I know the media likes to grab ahold of any news about the war that they can. Once I get to my locker, I slip into my g-suit and my other gear. I grab my helmet, staring down at the design. My squadron is called the Archangels. Everyone in the Squadron has something on their helmet that has to do with angels. Mine is mostly black, with a purple stripe stretching from the front to the back. Both sides have Binky written in cursive, and the white Trinity symbol is on the back, in the middle of the purple stripe. Everyone has an Angel's wing in their helmet somewhere. Mine are right next to the trinity on the back. I go to put it on when my eyes flick to Blaze's locker. My heart sinks. It still sits empty. I think about what happened every single day. Even though it's been a month, I try to have hope that he's still alive...but deep down, I know he's gone and I still can't shake the burning feeling inside my chest. I know it's my fault. I snap out of it as a hand slams down on my shoulder. I force a smile as Matrix stares at me, a huge grin on his face.
"Ready to show these amateurs how it's done?" he bellows. At first I think he's talking about the Japanese pilots until he slowly looks at Hurricane and Ghost, a mischievous smirk on his face.
Hurricane scoffs and rolls her eyes.
"The only amateur in this room is you, old man."
He gaps, flinging his head back and holding onto his chest as if he'd been shot.
"I was just messing around! Jeez why do you have to be so hurtful!"
Hurricane smiles as she nudges her elbow into his side.
"That's what happens when you mess with the greatest pilot in the room."
She raises her chin as she marches over to the door.
I chuckle as I follow her.
"Everyone in here has a god complex," I grumble. She looks at me with a sly grin and then rolls her eyes.
We all walk down the hall towards the flight deck. I place my helmet underneath my arm as I glance down at my vest, double checking to make sure I grabbed everything I needed.
"Out of the way!" someone screams. Matrix snatches my arm and pulls me to the side. My brows furrow as I glance down the hall. My heart drops. Coremen surround someone on a stretcher as they rush down the passageway. As soon as they pass me, I see who's laid out on the stretcher. I recognize his fire-red hair. Blaze. A blood-curling scream explodes out his mouth. All I see is blood and a lump of what used to be his leg. They turn the corner, disappearing but I can still hear him scream. He's alive? After all this time? He made it. I was right. I start towards him, but Matrix slams his hand against my chest. Hurricane and Ghost stare at me, the color drained from their faces.
"Go. We'll meet you guys at the flight deck."
They glance at each other before nodding and walking away. I swat Matrix's hand away, my heart pounding.
"I have to see him," I say, my voice cracking. Matrix grabs my arm, squeezing them tight.
"I know, but you can't right now. You know how important this training exercise is. The media is covering it and I know that's awful to say and I hate it too, but you can't afford to get in trouble. You can't afford to mess this up. This is bigger than you or me. Right after this exercise, you can see him."
I let out sharp breaths as I stare down the passageway. I can still hear his screams even though they're faint now. Matrix grabs my head, pulling it back towards him. I can't look him in the eyes. I stare down at his boots.
"Hey, look at me!"
I clench my jaw, finally looking into his dark eyes. His gloved hand lays over my cheek. "You got this, okay? I need you focused and ready to fly. Kay?"
My throat tightens as I fight back tears. I clear my throat, pulling my eyes back to the ground and nodding. Matrix lets out a deep sigh and pats my shoulder. "Alright. Let's get this done then."