Chapter 7: Winter's Whisper

We trudge through the cold and deep snow for hours. I glance down at the flat ground thousands of feet below. My eyes feel heavier and heavier with each second that passes. I look back at Akio, who's dragging along with his head down.

"C'mon, man. Head up. You're my extra set of eyes and ears," I call back.

"Binky, is it possible we could take a three-minute break? I can't do much seeing and hearing for you if I'm half asleep."

I look back down at the valley below. I can even see the airbase from here. A twinge of anger rips through me as I see its lit-up runway, its variety of different jets, and its three massive buildings. There wasn't even a dent on that runway. Not a single building was damaged. We never even got close. I glance back at Akio and nod. Akio lets out a huge sigh as he sits in the snow. I look down at the airfield again. I've gotta be high enough by now for the signal to work.

I pull out my radio, but again, all I get is static. I look up at the monstrous climb we have ahead of us. I shake my head and look back at the trail of footprints we made. If they're looking for us, which they definitely are, they'll be able to find us in no time. We've been traveling at an insanely slow speed and carelessly leaving a huge trail for them to follow. I walk over to the closest pine tree and snap off a branch. I walk over to Akio, who was already asleep against a tree. I shove the branch into his chest, and he jolts awake.

"Rise and shine, man." 

He sighs and slowly stands. I hand him the branch. "Wipe away our trail. Make sure there isn't an indent in the snow. Make it flat and make sure you can't see our footprints."

He glares at me for a moment, his eyes glazed over with the fog of sleep. Eventually, he nods and takes the branch.

"Whatever you say," he yawns. I look forward and continue to walk again. About two more hours go by as we push through the snow. The frigidness of the snow bites at my bones. Snow and ice cakes my gear. My legs tremble as I slowly stomp through the snow. It feels so heavy against my legs. I grab my mask and put it on, hoping that it warms my face.

"Hey, Binky," Akio starts, "if you could have any food right now, what would it be?"

I see what he's doing. Trying to keep the mood light. Probably trying to keep himself and me awake. I hesitate as I think about my answer. I smile as the food pops into my head.

"A greasy, cheesy, Philly cheesesteak," I answer. The thought of it makes my mouth water and my stomach growl. I swear, I can smell it right now, taste the green peppers, cheese, and beef. "What about you?"

"Honestly...I could go for some McDonald's."

My eyes narrow. That was definitely not the answer I was expecting. "I mean, you Americans know how to make some really unhealthy food...but it's good. I can just taste those golden, salty fries right now."

I smile as I turn to look at him.

"You live in Japan where you arguably have some of the best food in the world...and you want McDonald's?"

He shrugs.

"Do not question my food choices."

I laugh as I turn back around and look up at the top of the mountain. It was still miles away. There's no way I'm making it up there tonight. I can feel the ice stick to my eyelashes. I shake violently as the cold air slams into my body. I stop and turn towards Akio. I can barely see his eyes through the snow that encases his eyelashes.

"We should take a break."

He gives me a thumbs-up and then literally collapses into the snow. I sit up against a wall of rock. I reach into a pocket on my survival vest, pulling out the small water canteen. I want to drink all of it now, but I know how stupid of a move that would be. So I force myself to take only a couple of sips and then put it back.