Childhood Tradition

Kelith rubbed the sleep from his eyes, as the faint very early morning light crept in through the window of his fathers study, an array of colorful books lined the shelves. A workbench at the center of the room was cluttered with tinkers tools, and several different prototypes of oil fed lanterns. The large faded red armchair he'd fallen asleep in left him feeling bent out of shape. As he sat forward his book fell from his lap to the straw covered ground, open to a drawing of an unarmored swordsman in a high guard stance arms up above his head and the blade pointed down. Kelith stood and modeled the movement, a metal brace  was tethered to his shin by leather straps. It didn't hurt anymore. He followed with a shadow fighting swing over his right shoulder. He let out a determined breath through his nose, as he scooped up the book and stuffed it underneath the seat cushion.

He snuck out of the study, careful too not wake the rest of the house and was surprised to hear humming and soft scrubbing coming from the dining room. Layla knelt by a basin, and quietly worked grease off of a deep iron pot. She looked thin, and tired. "Good morning." She smiled up at him. "What had you so wrapped last night that you couldn't be bothered to make it home to your own bed? Were you off hunting pirates across the Sapphire Sea? Or feasting deep in the mines of the Cragmire Mountains?" 

Kelith couldn't help but grin. "I was actually studying the most modern methods for scrubbing dishes." He sat down beside her, and took over the scrubbing. "You know, advancements in tools and techniques happen constantly!," He mocked. "If you don't study to keep up, you will get LEFT behind!" Kelith chuckled.

 "You shouldn't tease your father." Her voice was deliberate, not amused not upset. "Even if he IS an old stickler." She grinned and started to work on a clay cup. "Are you excited about today? It's been nearly a season since-" 

"How're you feeling?" Kelith stopped working and made eye contact. "Truly."

She looked down, to her sudsy hands, and furrowed her brow. "I'm feeling happy that you're here. That things are good between us. I worry for your brother, he was retching all through the night. He only began to sleep some small hours ago."

"Oh Mom, things will be good between you and I, always. I promise. Dax will be okay, I'll figure something out...you know, advancements in tools and techniques happen constantly. You've been up all this time?"

 Her eyes glassed over. "I love you Kelith, and I thank you...but, you cannot make all of our problems your problems. Nermin will be by to see Rook in the late afternoon, until then hopefully he sleeps."

"Nothing makes me happier, than working at your problems Mom." He ran a thumb across a tear on her cheek. "I promise."

They worked a while in silence before she asked "Will you please bring in some new water?...and don't let your father find you studying 'nonsense'" She winked, and smiled, but her eyes were still sad.

"I love that nonsense, it reminds me of my Mom. I'll be right back." 

Keliths breath created a fog in the cold morning air, and he wrapped his arms across his chest. He circled the plain wooden home to the large basin at the back where filled a pair of large buckets with water. When he started back to the front, a cheerful voice called out, "Good t' see you up an about!"

Taldren strode confidently from the edge of the yard, just ahead of Kendreth and Nermin. He wore all black, that contrasted his pale skin. "Tal! It's been too long, I've missed you."

"You sure don't act like it" Tal closed the distance completely and gently struck Kelith on each side of his face. Look at you, you're completely defenseless!" He feinted two strikes at his stomach and one at his collar while Kelith let the buckets down, and then wrapped him in a tight hug. Taldrens long dark curls where in Keliths eyes. "Aela's probably missed you too! You shoul-" Kelith shoved him, "Thats not funny!" He laughed, pointing at him, and Tal snickered while he stumbled away. "Kendreth, he's blushin', I think we should go by!"

Kendreth clapped Taldren on the shoulder, "Leave it alone." and he waved to Kelith. "Good morning! Big day."

Nermin had puffy bags underneath his eyes, "These two were banging down my door at the very first light for you. I hope you're ready, son."

"I am! Thank you I know it's early, I'm sorry." The herbalist said nothing as he rushed in and started unloading tongs, bandages, and a sour smelling tonic." 

Kelith sat up on the dining table. "Just because the binding is off doesn't mean you're cured! There are a number of processes that still need to take place to ensure a completely successful bonding of the bone, you see..."

Kelith offered the doctor the occasional yeah or uh-huh yes thank you, as he rattled on about muscle memory and joint function, but really tried to listen to his friends who spoke in low voices in the front doorway...They're making fun of me... Layla though, payed wrapped attention to Nermin. Kelith winced as the herbalist used the tongs to loosen the metal binding, and removed the leathers straps that fastened the supporting rod. Kelith and his mother smiled, Kendreth and Taldren began cheering and clapping until, Layla pressed her forefinger to her lips and let out a harsh "Ssssh" sound.

"Is your youngest ready to be seen?" Nermins dry tone chaffed against the otherwise bright mood in the room. "Uhm...he's asleep, I was hoping you'd come back perhaps in the late afternoon?"

Nermin started into a grumbling lecture about reliability and the value of a physicians time.

Kendreth and Taldren all but pulled Kelith onto his feet. "C'mon then" Taldren started, "The guard will be making use of the barracks by mid-morning, if we go now there's still enough time."

"Ha! You want to go to the square NOW? There's- I haven't even!" His friends had him back into to morning air before he could properly protest, and in truth he was glad for it. He'd missed this. Excitement began to well up in his chest as he was drug across Havenhill. The only people that stirred this early were last nights guard and the farm hands, neither of which payed any mind to three old friends, rekindling a childhood tradition.