Haggard Hope

An explosion of motion assailed Keliths reflexes. The armored guards split rank. The plates of their metal armor shifting loudly. Three moved into a Taldrens space, in a triangle, and he instinctively stepped backwards. The furthest one produced a pair of manacles. Taldrens eyes darted from the men and the shackles, to the agitated gasping crowd behind him. He wants to run.

 The other nine soldiers were trained on Taldrens friends. The scraping ring of Kendreths sword rising from its sheathe was cut short. Malcom used both hands to stop his one arm, and the two met eyes. The tenuous trust that they had built, strained. "Sword!!" The burly voice of the guard prompted all nine to brandish their weapons.  Kelith scowled racking his brain, and Aelandra hefted her hammer. Malcom held a hand out to stop them. "Wait stop! Hold!" He stood between the guards and his group. "This must be some misunderstanding."

The armored shackles were locked roughly around Taldrens wrist. His fear twisted his face more than the pain. "Hey!" He thrashed against the grip of captures. "I can explain!"

There was no opening in the wall of armor in front of Kelith. No way to his friend.

Everytime. How does this happen every time?

"Your prisoner was in my charge! It is my right to know why he is being detained." Malcoms jaw tightened as they ignored him.

The gatekeepers bombastic disposition deflated into naked anxiety. "Strip any weapons and take him to the east hold, above the servants quarters. Keep him there until you receive word. Be discreet about this. Walk the alleys." 

"The east hold?" Malcom called to the gatekeeper past the guard. "In the name of my Lady Silra Flintlen you will tell me why you are taking him! Would you deny your Warden?" No response.

"Kendreth! Overhead." Taldren amidst his struggle, tore his shackled arms from reaching hands, and slung a purse heavy with coin through the air. "Don't worry about me, remember why w-" The men that wrestled Taldren gagged him. Kelith caught the purse, then he and Kendreth shared a pained glance through the muffled screams, as they watched a sack forced over Taldrens thrashing head as the men started off into the gate. The rest of the guard rotated to keep the way blocked until Taldren was drug out of sight.

The spectacle began to cool and the bulk of the crowd began to wander off. But Malcom was still hot, he fumed. "How can you deny the authority of the bladeward? I will see this set properly."

"Oh I'm sure you will!" The gatekeeper waved a dismissive hand. "Give my regards and sincere apologies to your Madam Flintlen, squire." He began gathering the gem and its tripod into a bag with his ledgers. "The city must close. Be off. Make your report."

 Kelith, Aelandra, and Kendreth with their horses in tow, followed Malcom into the city. He grumbled as he lead them. Six men struggled with the crank that lowered the massive gate behind them. Kelith clenched his fist. "They are only a few moments ahead. Maybe we can find their...trail..." The idea died in his mouth as he looked for the first time onto the fabled city of Havenhelm.

Buildings were pressed together, separated just by cobbled road and foot traffic. Many of the stone structures stood two stories high. A few others, three, and even those were made little next to tall towers that climbed into the sky. Cold lanterns hung on flag poles every hundred feet, their blue banners caught in the wind.  The people looked happy. A young blonde guard held his helmet under one arm and waved at the newcomers with his other hand. An older woman sold bread at one of the corners along the main road that wound over the cities hills up to a great castle, with pointed spires and elevated walkways. It almost sparkled, in the sun. It looked like it would have great halls for feasting, where gallant warrior heros celebrated victories and brave sutures vied for the favor of high-born ladies. Keliths eyes couldn't get wide enough to drink it all in.