Chapter 19: Be Prepared

Remy's POV
(Warning for an intense narrative, negotiations over the lives of others, and descriptions of injury and murder.
Also tough love, many mentions of threats to kill and manipulation.)
(This chapter will be really heavy, but it's worth it I promise.)

     I cheered with the rest of the crowd as Virgil and Roman kissed. It was clear that Virgil had feelings for him, and that this wasn't just for the sake of the plan. Now I just had to resort to the next part of the plan... Which is basically to convince Virgil that he has to choose between his mother or Roman. If I could manage that, hopefully Roman could unknowingly do the rest.

Coraline stormed up the bleachers, dragging Jaxon behind her. Jaxon blinked at us in confusion and shrugged as Coraline grabbed the mic. "I'm going to the coronation with Jaxon." She stated stubbornly. "Me?" Jaxon asked, looking surprised. "Yes you." Coraline muttered, marching back down the bleachers to give the mic back to the MC. "Sweet!" Jaxon cheered before looking back at Roman and Virgil, who had pulled away to watch Coraline storm off. "Uh... Congrats?" Jaxon told them awkwardly before following Coraline. Virgil just chuckled and rolled his eyes, then leaned into Roman.

"Works for me. I was planning on asking my boyfriend to be mine anyways." Roman mused, offering Virgil a charming smile. "Alright." Virgil agreed softly, a guilty look flashing in his eyes for a moment. "Huzzah!" Roman cheered as Patton tackled Roman with a hug. "I'm so happy for you two!" Patton cheered before hugging Virgil. "Oh... uh... okay..." Virgil stammered, causing me to chuckle as he returned Patton's hug. "You know what? We should all hang out as a group some time and get to know each other! I've gotten to know Jannie and Remus a bit but I haven't gotten to know you that well yet." Patton cheered as he pulled away. "Maybe another time. Tonight, I wish to bring Virgil on a date!" Roman cheered.

"Another one? We had a date yesterday, Princey." Virgil chuckled. "An official one! Not a public one like the coronation or a complicated one like yesterday." Roman explained. "Alright... uh... Just let me get ready first." Virgil stammered. "Of course! I'll see you later this evening, my Dark Prince!" Roman cheered, following the crowd and his friends. "Okay... See you later..." Virgil replied, watching Roman leave with a lost in thought expression.

Remus headed up the bleachers to join us after getting changed. It was now just the four of us, standing on top of the bleachers as the rest of the school headed inside. Everyone chattered excitedly, and Roman himself was being swarmed with curious students. Clearly, the cheer thing Roman said would still happen had been completely forgotten.

"Virgil, if you carry out this plan, I'm going to kill you." Remus muttered. Virgil just giggled in a giddy way, causing Janus and Remus to share a look of confusion as I sighed and covered my face with my palm. "It's alright guys..." Virgil sighed with a love sick grin. "I'll convince my Mom to spare him. On Family Day I'll get them to let me talk to her, and I'll convince her to spare everyone before I let her free. If she refuses, I'll ditch the plan. Don't you see? We can still do this! We can still make our parents proud, and also keep our friends!" Virgil told us, in a tone so cheerful it wasn't natural for him.

"Okay even you have to know that's bullshit." Remus scoffed. "I'm serious, guys!" Virgil insisted. "You know she'll only lie to you. Just like she always does. She'll say whatever she needs to say to convince you. Every time you decide you'll bargain with her, you'll reason with her, it always ends with you doing exactly what she wants and then some." Janus told him. "Virgil, can I talk to you alone?" I asked, not wanting the other two to send him into another panic attack.

"Yeah..." He agreed in a weakened voice. Clearly I made the right call.

I prepared what I was going to say in my head as we walked down the halls to the dorms. It would be hard... but I needed to break through to Virgil. Even if it meant breaking him, I would do the work to help him heal later.