Chapter 13: Hungry little stray

??? POV

My mother was a housewife while my father was a fire fighter, as a child I saw my father as a real life superhero and wanted to be just like him. At the age of 9 my father died saving an elderly couple from a burning apartment. My mother couldn't find a job paying enough to support us, after a few weeks, or was it months? It's been so long I forgot, but that's not important. After, however long it was my mother had no choice but to sell her body, it kept food on our plates and a roof over our head. But my mother hated doing those things, and every night when one of her 'clients' leaves she would always pull out a picture of dad and cry hugging the picture. Every day from then on she would look at me with a look of guilt and shame. I hated seeing my mother like this.

At the age of 15 everyone in my high school knew of my moms 'work', and everyday I was insulted and bullied at school. Every time I looked at my desk there were words calling me a slut and whore, but everyday I decided to be the better person and ignore it. If only it was that easy.

At the age of 17 I discovered my aptitude for medicine, at the age of 18 I applied for Osaka university. Of course Osaka heard of the rumors of me being a whore, and rejected my application saying it would be a 'distraction' and a 'hindrance' for the other students.

That marked the first time in a long time that I had cried. A few years later at the age of 22 my mother passed away because one of her 'clients' was a little too rough. The police after finding out what my mother did for a living blamed her, and let the man who killed her off the hook with a warning.

At the age of 26 I encountered a handsome man, who offered to make me the happiest woman in the world so long as I became his medical assistant. Of course I accepted his offer, he seemed like the perfect man. It was as if it were love at first sight. but little did I know it was at that moment my life was going to become much, much worse. 

He revealed himself to be a high-class devil of the Naberius household, and he offered to make me his pawn. Being the naive girl I was, I accepted and became a devil.

It was complete HELL. No pun intended. I was forced to watch as Nab- no that monster conducted experiments in hopes of creating a so- called 'super devil'.  I eventually forgot my name.

By the time my body was able to handle the queen promotion he used me as a Guinea pig, for his experiments. He had something special saved just for me. I became the first of his entire peerage to be apart of his KISHIN PROJECT.

Every time one of his experiments failed, he'd force me to extract and devour their souls. I should have been disgusted, but with each soul I devoured I'd feel this sense of warmth and comfort I  had forgotten, it was addicting... I wanted more

At the age of 35 my 'master' gave me some modifications, allowing me to change from my monstrous form back into the human looking form I had once forgotten.

At the age of 42 my 'master' acquired two new subjects, both of which are Nekomata, a rare species of Yokai. They both looked so appetizing.

At the age of 45 the black haired Nekomata killed my 'master'. I was so envious of her, in the span of a few years she was able to surpass and slay the monster, that even with years of training I couldn't even lay a scratch on.

All wasn't lost, after all there were so many subjects in his lab, so many free souls. And no one could stop me. Looking upon my former 'masters' corpse I thought it would only be right if I had a taste of his soul as well. Once the underworld discovered my old 'masters' body they labeled me and the nekomata as stray devils.

But that hardly mattered to me, it only meant that the souls I crave are only coming to me~.

I soon managed to transport myself to the human world and began hunting humans in the country of Japan, the country I once called 'home'  

I managed to make my way back to my home town, Kuoh.

With each soul I devoured I felt as if I was slowly putting my broken mind back together piece by piece, soul by soul. Devouring, devouring, devouring, devouring... Devouring until I'm COMPLETE!

A boy who looks like he could still be in school walks into my warehouse.

Me: Oh~, a new meal is coming straight to me~? Don't mind if I do~

Picking a fight with this kid was the worst decision in my long life.

He smiled as he beat me into submission, I was soon forced to revert back into my human form. 

In my weakened state he was able to easily overpower me with his hand around my throat, making me remember how my mother passed away.

He created a magic circle, reaching in he pulled out a small container and opened it.

He slammed the open part of the container onto my chest, causing whatever was inside to enter my body.

Mysterious boy: Don't worry this'll all be over soon Viser of Gluttony.