Chapter 38

Not a single person in Dwaraka left without shedding tears. Each and every citizen and members of vast Royal family of Krishna payed their homage to Vatsala by visiting her funeral.

The sandal wood pyre was set up in the banks of Prabhasa. Krishna still held Vatsala's corpse in his arms whereas Arjuna sat next to him with tears.

Ulmuka caressed the hairs of Satyapriya.

" I have heard somewhere Satya. A persons's wealth is the people he has acquired. Look child, look at the property your mother has acquired " He said pointing the people who were leaving the arena after paying the homage. They appeared like a flood.

" She don't know how to hate and this was the result of it. She has left that golden heart in your dear please don't cry now " He said trying hard to console himself more than Satyapriya.

He received sobs of Satyapriya that's all. Lahari patted her head as she made her to lean over her shoulder. Dristadeva returned after putting Abhigna to sleep.

" Krishna give her to me " Balarama said. Krishna looked at him sternly and hid her away from him. Balarama looked at Rukmini who was sitting with Revati.

She gestured Satyabhama to talk with him.

" Yadunandan please " Satyabhama pressed his shoulder.

" No " Krishna replied curtly.

" Madhava " Arjuna pulled his arm towards him hence freeing his grip over the corpse. Satyaki took it in his arms.

" No no please " Krishna cried trying to grab her back. Satyabhama hugged him softly.

Satyaki handed Vatsala to Balarama who placed her on the pyre.

" What are they doing?" Satyapriya asked Dristadeva suddenly.

" Nothing you don't worry about it " Dristadeva didn't allowed her to look in that direction.

" No they are going to burn my mother" Satyapriya tried her best to free herself from his grip and reach Vatsala's pyre.

The final rites began and Balarama performed it. Nishatha who was quiet till that moment stood up at once as Balarama was all set for performing agnisparsha to the pyre.

Nishatha paced towards his father as an angry ocean and pushed him back with much force. Satyapriya was startled by the act. That moment the ever obedient Nishatha didn't cared to address his father with respect.

" How dare you! How could you dare to burn my Vatsu " He roared. Balarama sighed helplessly as Sarana stood next to him as support.

" Why are you people doing drama together? Don't seperate my Vatsu from me I don't care who ever you are  " He yelled.

" Bhrata let her pyre be set ablaze " Ulmuka hurried towards him.

" Ulmuka you too " Nishatha narrowed his eyes.

" Enough brother let us not make her to wait anymore. Don't know how much she suffered in silence without telling anything to us, let us free her from everything. Let him set the fire bhrata please " Ulmuka almost had tears and so Nishatha.

" What no!" Satyapriya was interrupted by Dristadeva.

" Satya all these years you enjoyed her love all by yourself may be your elder sister is also waiting for her let her go " He cupped her face. Satyapriya tried to say something she still did not wanted to accept the truth that his mother is no more.

Nishatha neared the corpse with heavy heart. He caressed that beautiful face of his sister with his both palms and pecked her forehead for one last time.