𝟎𝟏

*past*

"i thank you, dear adjudicator, for considering the saint cassian chamber choir for our senior concert." ocean said peppily while looking off into the crowd.

"we are thrilled to be here, yet again, at the kiwanis international singing competition. last year we came in second place!" she said cheerfully, i rolled my eyes knowing we were the only choir in the competition.

"this just shows the high standards of excellence in kiwanis – even in competition against yourself, you can still walk away a loser." her voice slightly trembled.

"constance?" she asked for her best friend to step up, which constance happily did.

"our first song is by father louis p. marcus, our choir conductor... he was inspired by traditional african folk music—specifically the lion king," she stated

ocean pushed her back to take her original spot

"here is his homage to our very own fall fair!" 

cue the piano

"When the fall fair comes to town!" we all sang in different keys, except ricky. poor guy can't talk or even walk properly. 

"oh, step right up!all good, good funall the games and ridesa little something for everyone!when the fall fair comes to town!"  cosntance, ocean, and i harmonise together.

"when the fall fair comes to town" noel sang with excitement. however, my boyfriend, mischa sang lazily.

*present*

"when the fall not fair, this ride goes where?"

"ahh~"

that damned roller coaster constance begged us to go on. you should never, and i mean never trust those shitty carnival ride, because look at us all now. we're dead.

"something doesn't feel quite right"

"a blur of coloured spinning light"

"my heart is racing, pounding in my ears"

"dizzy tingling's spinning round, where's the sky and where's the ground?"

"the rabbit comes and then he disappears"

"total darkness, spinning black"

"pushing forward, pulling back"

"falling through the air, i wonder how can this be fair? aah! aah!"

while we're spinning around, i hear a complete separate voice. it sounds almost like penny screaming. what's happened to the poor girl?

none of the choir seems to care or even take notice of the screaming, except for me and ricky. he's looking in the air, trying to find the source of the voice.

"what a load of freaking junk! that crusty, clearly drunk! sue that fair for everything they've got!" ocean yells into the distance, she has always been one to fight for what she believed. that's probably why she on the student council and the debate club.

"what's the point of even suing? dead, we're done, there's no undoing. nothing left to do except to rot~!" noel on the other hand, believed in the facts. he was always quite pessimistic and who could blame him? he could never get his hopes up in fear of rejection.

"sex, oh god! why did i wait?" mischa says, i smack him in the chest.

"now i'll never graduate!" ocean says sadly, disappointment dripping from her voice.

"i hope i wiped my browser history clean..." constance mumbles

"why'd we even go to class?" i ask them, "algebra 12? yeah, kiss my ass." i scoff.

"now i know what YOLO really means" mischa takes my hand and drags me to the back of wherever we were.

"carpe diem!"

"what a lovely theme,"

"c'est la vie!"

"life is just a dream~"

"and then you're sailing through space, you don't know up from down. and you feel a little strange, from all that spinning round."

"and everything you loved, and everything you dreamed, and everything you feared, and everything that seems so oh, so terrifying!"

"is far behind on the ground, like our far-from-the-city-little-itty-bitty-pretty hometown! just a teeny tiny dot on a wee blue ball and we've all been spinning,"

"all been spinning round and round and round. round and round and round,"

mischa and noel dance together and so do constance and i.

"had a strange feeling from the start, bought our tickets, got into that rickety cart. it did not feel safe at all" it was strange for ocean to blame herself. usually she'd blame all her problems on others. maybe she's better in the after life.

"tick-a tick-a toward the crack!"

"felt the drop knowing i'm never going back!"

"but what really happens? what really happens?"

i can still hear penny's screaming, it's very unnerving. i'm concerned that she's not here, what happened to her?

the six of us stand in fear awaiting what happens next,