Chapter 1:The barn owl

Y/EC= your eye color

I woke up to the sound of ringing in my room interrupting the sweet silence. I groaned as I opened my eyes reminding me that I had to go to school today. I reached over my beside. I turned off my alarm and got out of bed. I put on my slippers and exited my bedroom. 'I am so glad it is Friday' I thought to myself. I walked to my bathroom only to be greeted by my toe hitting the wall hard while turning a corner. I bit my lip to avoid screaming out in pain, not wanting to awake my parents or siblings in the house. I finally made it to the bathroom.

I turned on the light while closing the door behind me quietly. I made my way to the sink and turned on the faucet. I put soap on my face and rinsed it off. I looked into the mirror and saw my eye bags were a little darkened, my face was a pale color, my lips were red from biting down on them, my hair was light brown and stopped at my chest. The thing that stood out most about me was my eyes. My eyes were a light (Y/EC). People always said I had captivating eyes.

I grabbed a towel and dried my face. 'I do not understand how people see me as beautiful if I always look sick' I thought to myself as I placed the towel down. I left the bathroom and quietly made my way back to my room to get changed. I opened my drawer and picked out an outfit and quickly put it on. I looked at my full body mirror and tucked in my shirt. I had blue high waisted jeans, a black sweater, a thin black vest with white swirls, black socks, an emerald necklace with a gold chain and matching earrings. I then checked my outfit even from the back to check if I had forgotten to tuck the back in. I then grabbed red lipstick from my vanity and applied some on my lips. Then I went to my bookshelf that was on the opposite side of my room.

I was scanning for a book when I suddenly found a book I did not remember getting. "Maybe mom or Sarah got it for me" I said to myself before grabbing the book. I looked at the title on the red leather cover with black flowers around the book then I saw the gold letters at the font. "Labyrinth" I read out loud before plopping down on my stomach onto the bed. I had finished reading the first long chapter and was going to start reading chapter two until I heard a knock on the door "come in" I said before turning my head towards the door. The door opened revealing my step sister Sarah. She had on her white long sleeve shirt with puffy sleeves, white vest that had gold swirl designs, her blue mom jeans and brown slip ons. "Hey Y/n" she greeted me while slowly making her way towards my bed and gently sat on it as if it was going to break at any second.

"Good morning, Sarah" I said while reading the book. Sarah is my older step sister and we are a couple months apart. She is older and I turn eighteen tomorrow. My mom met her dad at work, they had dated for three years and got married two years ago. We were awkward at first but we grew closer over time. We treat each other like biological sisters and we are each other's only best friends. "What are you reading?" She asked "a book I found on my bookshelf" I said with my eyes not leaving the book. "Did Irene give you that?" She asked me "I do not know. I thought you or mom put it in my room" I said finally looking away from the book and looking at her confused face.

"I've never seen a book that has no author or summary on it" she said "me either" I said "but that book looks like a great book" she said. "It is. Want me to read some of it to you?" I asked her "sure" she said before sitting closer to me and grabbing a pillow to place it in her lap. I started to read and began to describe how the goblin king looks before we heard a tap on my bedroom window. I looked at the window and saw a barn owl sitting on a tree. I placed the book gently on my bed before telling Sarah and slowly making my way towards the window with amazement.

I opened the window slowly and reached my hand out to pet it. It surprisingly did not flinch or fly away, it sat still as if it wanted to be petted. I slowly petted it "I'm surprised it didn't fly away" she said "me too" I said while looking down at the owl. "Are you hungry?" I asked it. The owl let out a hoot which I assumed was a yes. "Stay here, I will be right back" I said before exiting the room leaving Sarah and the owl alone. I went downstairs and into the kitchen, I looked at the counter and found a bowl of peaches. I grabbed three peaches in case Sarah wanted some too and I quietly washed them.

I turned off the faucet and went back upstairs quickly and quietly made my way down the hall and into my room. I opened the door and found Sarah petting the owl with it on her lap. "I got some peaches" I said while handing her one "thank you" she said smiling before biting into it. The owl looked at the peach and then at me, I smiled at the owl "do not worry, I have one for you too" I said while chuckling and putting the peach on my drawer that was next to my bed. The owl flew off Sarah's lap and onto the drawer and started to eat the peach. Sarah and I started talking about the play we are both acting in. Until she mentioned the book I was reading, not knowing the owl was listening.

"Do any of the characters sound interesting in the book?" She asked me "well there is one" I said to her while blushing "let me guess..the goblin king?" She asked with a smile creeping onto her face "yes..how did you know?" I asked her "you always seem to fall for the villains Y/n" she said before finishing the last bite of her peach. "Well, they are just misunderstood and you should remember Sarah. Villains are not born villains, they are made" I said before finishing my peach and throwing the seed into the trash next to my drawer. "I'll try to remember that" she said before throwing her peach seed away "any other quotes for me today wise little sister?" She asked me with a smile. "Well, I guess I do" I said before thinking a bit "and that is?" She asked "well, everything is not what it seems to be" I said "you got that from the book didn't you?" She asked me still smiling "yes indeed" I said before we both giggled.

We suddenly heard a knock on my door "yes?" I called out to the door "is Sarah in there with you?" Dad asked, "yes she is" I answered "can I come in?" He asked "in a second!" I yelled out before turning towards the owl. "You can come back later today, okay? I told the owl and had a hoot as a response before it flew back out the window. I quickly threw away the peach the owl had finished eating. "You can come in now" I shouted towards the door and quickly sat on the bed with Sarah. The door opened and dad walked in "Sarah, Y/n. I came to tell you that I need you both to babysit Toby tonight. Irene and I will be out tonight" he said. Sarah groaned by the thought of having to babysit him again, I gave her a look that said "not now" she immediately saw my face and quickly stopped. Dad saw her reaction and chuckled "I really don't know how you get Sarah to stop Y/n. Also we leave in five minutes" he said before exiting the room and shutting the door behind him.

"Now you can continue," I said. She let out another groan and continued to complain about not wanting to babysit Toby and how it is not fair we are always left alone to deal with him. "Well, I do not like it as much as you do not either. But, if you dislike it so much, I can babysit him alone while you do whatever you do" I offered her. "As much as I don't like it, it's still not fair to you." She said with an obvious expression that held guilt "yeah it would be. But, it would only be unfair if I did not offer and left it all to me" I said, she pondered on the idea for a while "never mind, I would rather do it with you" she said finally making her decision. "Great. Now we should get our stuff together before dad comes rushing in the room" I told her before putting on my boots. She left to grab her belongings from her room and I grabbed mine from a chair in the corner of my room. I heard a muffled hoot and I shot my head towards my closed window.

I opened my window and ruffled the feathers on the owls head a little. "I will be back later today." I said before it flew off the tree branch and into the sky that held barely any daylight. "Time to go girls!" My dad shouted from downstairs. I quickly shut the window before grabbing my backpack and left the house. I opened the door to the backseat of my dads car and gently placed my stuff in first before sitting down. I shut the door and put my seatbelt on. I waited patiently for us to get there, it always took at least ten minutes to get there. 'I hope we are not late again. The stares from students in class were always awkward' I thought to myself while staring out the window and crossed my fingers, hoping I would not have to deal with that again like yesterday.