Chapter 3: Rehearsal

I began to sit crisscross on the grass since there wasn't any benches nearby. I waited for Sarah to practice her lines before acting it out. As I waited, I saw the friendly owl from earlier. I waved and smiled at the owl who was watching us. I have to admit, it felt pretty nice knowing there was something watching over us. The owl which we've only known since this morning was already like our protector.

I kept staring at the owl and thought of how strange the owl acted human. I kept pondering about it until I heard Sarah's footsteps run across the bridge. I looked at her with admiration as she stopped in place and started reciting her lines. "Give me the child. Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered. I have fought my way to the castle, beyond the goblin city. To take back the child that you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours..and my kingdom as great" She said before thunder roared. "For my will is as strong as yours..and my kingdom as great. Damn, Y/n what's my next line again!?" She mumbled her lines then shouted her question at me. "It's you have no power over me!" I shouted at her "you have no power over me!" She shouted her line and thunder roared again.

"I can't believe you still don't have that one line down Sarah" I said as I got up and walked towards her. "I don't believe it either. It's like that line has banned words from my vocabulary" She said with a small giggle. Then we heard the grand clock chime in the distance nearby. Sarah and I looked at the clock "oh no" Sarah said "SARAH, WE ARE LATE. MOM IS GOING TO KILL US!" I shouted as I picked up my gown to run. Sarah followed behind me she picked up hers to her waist, showing her mom jeans. Mine showed my black leggings. We ran across streets, cut yards and ignored barking dogs from inside houses.

We ran as rain poured "it's not fair!!" Sarah shouted as we arrived at the porch of our house along with an angry mother. "Oh really?" Mom said. "We're sorry" Sarah said "well don't stand there in the rain, come on" mom said before we entered the house. "Girls, your an hour late" she said as she followed behind us. "We said we're sorry!" Sarah yelled "please let me finish!..your father and I go out very rarely" she said "don't you go out every weekend mother?" I asked her "don't tell me your talking back to me too Y/n" mom said "I didn't mean it that way. It was a legitimate question" I said. Mom rolled her eyes and dismissed us before dad came in with a crying Toby.

Sarah and I headed upstairs. She stomped her way to her room as I quietly walked to mine. I am upset just not as upset as Sarah is. Mom isn't always bad..she just has bad days. I kept thinking that to myself as I changed into my clothes from this morning. I went to my vanity and started to apply my red orange lipstick since it was wearing off. I finished applying it and put on my slip-ons. Then I heard a knock on my door "come in!" I shouted towards the door as I walked back to my vanity. I grabbed my pony tail holder as I saw Sarah come in with dad behind her.

I looked at them both in my mirror. Sarah came in and sat on the bed while dad shut the door behind him. Sarah and I sat in silence and we looked at the ground as dad spoke "you girls shouldn't give your mother a hard time...especially you Y/n!" He scolded at us. Sarah and I picked up our heads. "She isn't my mother!...I will never see her as my mother!" Sarah yelled and stomped her way out of my room. Then dad looked at the door then to me, expecting me to speak. "I can't keep coming up with excuses about mom to Sarah.." I said before getting up from my vanity chair and throwing myself on my bed.

I heard him walk from his spot near the door to my bedside. I looked at him as he looked down at me. "You know...I think you are very special Y/n..you grew more mature than Sarah did..and you're younger than her" he said that to me as if it's a good thing. I looked at him a little angry "maturity at a young age is not a good thing...I could not even be a kid for just once..." I said the last part as I turned to face the wall. I heard dad sigh "well at least I tried" he said quietly before opening my room door. "We'll be back around midnight" he said before closing my room door.

Tears stream down my face as I laid there for a couple more minutes silently crying. I heard Sarah yell from another room, I assumed she was yelling at dad again.Then I heard my room door open, I expected to see Sarah at my door but instead no one was there. I got up from my bed and looked in the hallway. Then I saw Sarah slowly creep into Toby's nursery as lightning flashes and thunder roars. I quietly followed her into Toby's nursery and found her reaching for Toby's blanket to find him missing. I stared at the crib wide eyed from the doorway.

I heard running from behind me and ran towards Sarah. Sarah screamed as I touched her shoulder but she calmed down as soon as she saw it was me. "Sarah what did you-" I said but then got interrupted by the doors bursting open. Sarah and I looked towards the doors and saw the same owl flying towards us. We both covered our faces. I saw the shadow of a man beneath my arms. We both uncovered our faces and saw him. I was struck by his beauty. "You're him aren't you?...you're the goblin king!" Sarah said which made him smirk as an answer. "We want our brother back please if it's all the same!" Sarah pleaded. "What's said is said" he said as he crossed his arms. I looked at Sarah with an expression of confusion and shock "Sarah what does he mean?" I asked her. Sarah didn't say anything as she turned to me and looked back at Jareth.

Jareth turned to me "she wished away your baby brother to me, y/n" he said. I looked at him surprised "how do you know my name?" I asked him. He stepped closer to me and Sarah kept still "I have been watching over you girls for a while now...especially you Y/n" he said as he looked at me with a soft gaze. He looked at me like he was examining my face. We kept staring at each other until Sarah broke the silence "what can we do to get our brother back?" Sarah asked him. He turned to Sarah with a hardened gaze "I can give you your dreams..and you leave me the baby...or.." he said as he summoned a crystal ball "or what?" I asked desperately wanting to know the other option. His gaze softened at me once again as he saw my worry. "Or..you can solve my labyrinth and reach my castle" he said.

Sarah and I looked at him before running to the doors and finding the labyrinth before us. We saw the very large labyrinth with a castle beyond it. From the looks of it, it looked like it was completely made of sand walls from the outskirts of the labyrinth. "Is that the castle beyond the goblin city?" Sarah asked as we both turned "turn back girls...turn back before it's too late!" He said "we can't...we have to do this" I said as I turned back to face the labyrinth. "What a pity.." Jareth said. "It doesn't look that far" Sarah said as if she suddenly gained confidence.

Sarah and I stared at the labyrinth "it's further than you think...time is short" Jareth said as we both jumped. I turned my head to Jareth as he said the last of his sentence. I feel a blush run across my cheeks from being so close to his face. He smirked at me before backing up and pointing to a clock on a nearby tree. "You have thirteen hours to solve the labyrinth, before your baby brother..becomes one of us. Forever. Such a pity" he said those last words with an echo as he faded away. Sarah looked around as I looked at her.

Wind blew our hair back as we stood there on the dirt hill. I stood there being intimidated by how large the labyrinth looked. Sarah sighed "the labyrinth...it doesn't look that hard. Well, come on Y/n" she said before grabbing my hand and running down the hill.