Author: The Dragon Prince Season 4: Why was the return so disappointing?

As you've already noticed, I haven't left yet. Because I want to speak out about season 4.

of course, it has a lot of good sides and a lot of interesting things, but I need to speak out for the smallest, most stupid mistakes that were made in it. I hope you enjoy listening to my criticism. I don't want to hold anyone together and I don't want to blame anyone, but I just want to show the worst options and the stupidest mistakes that were made in season 4 who hasn't watched season 4 yet, I advise you not to read it all, otherwise you'll spoil your mood to watch season 4. Better  frist see season 4 and then come back here to read, and you'll understand everything what I'm saying.

The fourth season was eagerly awaited. Especially because it is far from the last one: The Dragon Prince was immediately extended to the seventh. All episodes after the third form, in fact, a new story arc dedicated to Aaravos, a mysterious elf mage who is locked in a magical prison, which does not prevent him from playing a role in the drama around the storm dragon dynasty. That is, this is not only a continuation of the adventures of beloved characters, but also the beginning of a new big story. To emphasize this transition, a time gap of two years was made between the events of the third and fourth seasons.

Perhaps this is the reason for all the unexpected and numerous problems of the new series. The fourth season is not so much a continuation of the already formed and even completed history of the first three, but something in between a filler season and the beginning of a big saga. In the new episodes, almost nothing happens: only mythology is revealed and a global goal is established. In this, the fourth season of The Dragon Prince resembles, say, the fifth season of Game of Thrones: it seems that the creators are the same, the world and characters are the same, the budget has increased, but something has changed. The dialogue is worse, the characters are dumber, and the overall tone is more childish and playful. Western fans call this effect "marvelization": there are fewer serious episodes and conversations, and there are many more awkward situations and fart jokes. 

Problems with the script:

Skipping two years, dividing the series into "before" and "after", played a cruel joke with the script. The reception itself looks interesting: who refuses to see how familiar heroes have grown up, how their lives have turned out after winning a big war? And in general, I wanted to plunge into the magical world of the Dragon Prince again, to see new stories and facets of familiar characters. And, perhaps, meet someone completely new, who will fit perfectly into the old caste.

Ezran is now the king, Callum is the high mage, Soren is the captain of the royal guard again. Dragon Prince Zym has grown noticeably, but still has not learned to speak and plays the role of a funny winged dog. There were no noticeable changes with almost the entire cast: except that Claudia found herself an elf boyfriend, Viren noticeably changed the experience of death (for example, he developed a fear of heights), and the deaf-mute aunt Amaya is getting married.

Of all the heroes, first of all I want to talk about Rayla. Unfortunately, not because she is the most interesting and well-written character in the entire show. She is the main focus of all the problem areas of the script and characters of the fourth season. For some reason, Rayla is still an elf exile without friends and a home, although in the third season her innocence is proven, and her exploits should already be legendary. There is simply not enough of her in the new episodes: she appears only at the end of the second episode and stays on the screen for 10-15 minutes at most for the entire season - although she seems to be one of the three leading characters of the show. It's like having Katara or Sokka almost completely removed from Avatar. 

Her relationship with Callum is a complete headache, no matter how you approach this topic. At the end of the third season, a sincere and great love between these two characters was fully formed: the feelings that were gradually and slowly built for three whole seasons came to a conclusion. In the new season, I wanted to see how the characters would go on adventures together as a loving couple, how the dynamics between them would change because of the love and experiences experienced together. And in the end, Rayla and Callum ... broke up. Not, break but broke. It means that they don't know where will their relationship lead.