VIII

L U N A

L U N A

The environment around was awfully peaceful. I could catch a glimpse of the sun rising behind fuzzy clouds. The golden rays gave a bright color to the garden ahead of me. There was such a drastic difference between the outer core and the inner one; the mansion seemed so beautiful and aesthetic. But, every now and then demons shaped into humans lurked inside right and left.

I was a bit taken aback when I glanced around the area. It was surprisingly quiet. But again, this was literally the crack of dawn, who in their right mindset would walk around outside at this hour?

Still, weren't they a bunch of threatening criminals who never slept? Where are they?

I quickly snapped out of these thoughts and decided to take advantage of this situation to escape. The less number of men involved, the less amount of commotion it arises. My mind started running miles per hour brainstorming on how to escape this hell hole as soon as possible.

I couldn't stay hidden in this spot for long. Anyone walking in wouldn't even take a minute to figure out it was me. My biggest disadvantage was that I passed out while entering this place. Hence, I don't even know shit about the plan of this huge mansion. The only way I figured out was to escape from a backdoor or something. I couldn't just walk out of the main one,  I would definitely get caught.

The adrenaline lost its effect and nervousness slowly started to hit me. Gradually, my hands were running cold and I just couldn't stop fidgeting my fingers.  All of a sudden, I heard some voices leading this way. It felt like they were intensely engaged in a conversation. I froze in that spot while my eyes peeked behind the pillar watching them. Run.

I shot up and ran completely acting on my instincts. My body chose to take me the opposite way the men were heading to. I entered the mansion and hurriedly passed through the big corridor. It was gigantic and adorned with big paintings hung on the opposite walls. If this was a different scenario, I would have stopped and admired the beauty of those portraits. But, now it was clearly not the time. Every second was precious to me right now.

I kept running until I saw a dead end from a distance. I stopped in my tracks keeping a small amount of space between me and the door. The door was slightly open. My curiosity got the best of me at this point. I circumspected the environment around me before walking up to the door, making sure I was not being watched from any corner.

Rust was covered across the thick metal door in front of me. It was really tall and from what it looked like, it was definitely old. My eyes fell on some red stains on the steel knob. Glancing closely, it was not long before I realized it was dried blood. My mouth fell open. What could possibly be on the other side was all I could think at that point.

"Yeah, he should be out in 10 minutes." I heard a man's voice. As a reflex, I instantly swung the door open and went inside. I bit my bottom lip hard when it made a loud bang while closing. Shit

"What the fuck was that? Did you just hear that?- I swear I heard a door close with force just right now!" I was listening to the conversation he was having with someone on the phone. I could hear the footsteps outside the door while he was walking around. I prayed to God, that he does not have to open this door and walk inside right this moment.

"Are you insane dude? No way I'm going inside, Did you forget Boss said to go to the basement only when he says so? Does it look like I have a death wish?" I sighed with relief on hearing this. I turned around facing the flight of stairs trailing down in front of me.

So this is the basement.

The next few minutes passed by in a flash when I crept downstairs. The moment I set my foot in the basement, a chilled air blew on my face. An eerie feeling mixed with jeopardy lurked around the shadows of the basement. There were dim-lightings on either side of the huge corridor. Jail cells were positioned at a distance from each other, with blood stains smeared on the wall.

So, this is what the basement is used for.

Without wasting any further time, I quickened my pace hoping to find at least one backdoor which led outside. Usually, I knew these basements have at least one way leading outside to carry out missions. And I am determined to find that.

After walking rapidly for quite a long time, I was almost at the end of the basement. I slowed my pace to actually take in the horrors this place held. I walked carefully noticing the environment around me. Half of the cells were empty. I couldn't find anyone inside them, which intrigued me to find out even more.

An ear-piercing shriek interrupted me in my little adventure.

I turned out to figure out from which direction the screams were coming from.

No, Luna, you have to get out of here! Don't follow that sound! Curiosity always kills the cat! My inner voice screamed at me.

But, I had to follow it like a dumb head anyways.

I figure out the sound was coming from the farthest door from where I was standing in. Fastening my pace, I reached the anonymous area. The shrieks did not stop till now. Gathering some courage, I peeked through the transparent glass square on the door.

The scene which I saw, burnt my eyes in and out for the rest of my life.

~~
Hey babes!
Are you feeling hot? No?
Then just stay tuned for the next chapter. You'll surely have to turn it on. I meant the aircon- Where was your mind at silly?
What do you think Luna saw?
Share your theories with me~
Thank you so much for reading!