T W E N T Y

(Y/N) traced the bumps on the hardwood table with the soft pads of her fingertips in the Transfiguration classroom as she sat silently next to Hermione, her mind drifting anywhere and everywhere but the lesson being given by Professor McGonagall. Two words: Her home. If she could even call it that anymore. It didn't feel like that at all. As if she was the only one who lived inside of it. Which was technically true. The only one who was keeping it from falling apart. Literally and figuratively speaking.

The place where she lived was not a typical home, it was a house; only a plain old building. There was a humungous difference between those two words. A huge difference.

Her home was not filled with love, hope and support. No, not at all.

What she felt was only loneliness all day and everyday.

Because her Mother was never there, she never cared; and when she did care, even just a little bit...(Y/N) finally had a chance to open up and to be herself; to be vulnerable, only to get shot down and hurt again. Why? She just wanted to know why. Her sad (Y/E/C) eyes flitted upwards from the wood of the table, only to find Hermione already staring at her with a questioning expression painted on her face. (Y/N) jumped slightly in her seat, before placing a shaky, small hand on her chest, right above her beating heart.

Hermione raised her brown eyebrows at her, hazel eyes searching her own. (Y/N) pressed her lips into a thinned out line and slightly shook her head, before raising her hand, using her index finger to write an M letter in the air. Hermione mouthed something back, but she didn't quite understand. Hermione repeated herself and (Y/N) read her moving lips.

Your Mum, again?

(Y/N) looked down, before meeting her best friend's brown eyes once more. She nodded in silence, fiddling with the soft material of her black robes and Hermione tapped (Y/N) discreetly on the arm and her shy gaze turned back to her.

Do you want to talk later on?

(Y/N) stared at her, dumbfounded.

What?

Well...Do you?

She thought for a moment, blowing a raspberry with her mouth.

Okay.

(Y/N) tapped Hermione on her shoulder and her friend turned her head to stare at her expectedly. Her priorities were schoolwork, but (Y/N) wanted to show how she felt.

Her lip trembled before she sighed. Mouthing two small words, but it meant everything to her.

Thank you.

Hermione grinned smally. A sad smile. Because, she understood (Y/N). More than anybody else ever did.

"One...Two...Three. Vera Verto!" McGonagall cast a spell that turned a bird into a drinking Goblet. Harry and Ron gasped audibly loud and so did numerous other students. Her mouth hung open for a moment, before she slapped it shut. Her mood was really sour today. Like a lemon. "Now it's your turn! Who would like to go first?" McGonagall asked as she walked around the room. The rest of the class just stared as Ron gulped down his saliva and cleared his throat nervously. He pointed the tip of his broken Wand at Scabbers, saying. "Vera Verto!"

Since the Wand was not in its original state, the Spell backfired and the outcome was quite funny; the Rat turned into a drinking Goblet, but was left with a moving tail. Needless to say, his given task failed miserably. Numerous students giggled, including Harry. Ron picked up the strange looking object, observing it with an uneasy expression, his lips pulled down into a frown. (Y/N) smiled, finding the ordeal a sort of amusing. Her day felt somewhat brighter than the dark cloud she has woken up with above her head. "That Wand needs replacing, Mr Weasley." The Professor sighed heavily through her thin lips and was about to waltzed away, but Hermione's hand that shot up in the air, stopped her in her tracks. "Yes, Miss Granger?" She asked.