Chapter VI - Lewyn

Illyrio's Feast

The ship had not fully docked at Pentos when Lewyn had practically jumped off the main deck and onto the land below. He could not bear to spend any more time at sea, rocking with the boat as they were constrained to the galley and its three decks. The idea of dry land, the beautiful weather of Pentos, and, of course, the feasts that their host was known to throw spurred the prince on as he hurried off the ship and onto the jetty.

A crowd had gathered as the people watched the crew get off the ship, looking at the brightly coloured sails that bore the Martell banner. Lewyn stretched his legs, rolling his neck as he worked out aches caused by being on the ship for so long. He glanced behind him as Ser Edric, Maester Myles, Ser Gerris, and Ser Archibald settled at his side. The ship's crew had dubbed them the serpent's company, a name the five Dornishmen had grown to be fond of. In fact, in honour of the group, they had renamed the ship 'The Serpent's Company'.

But Lewyn had not expected to see a contingent of soldiers marching towards him, headed by a familiar face he would not have thought he would meet again anytime soon. At the head of the group - a banner that depicted a red snake swallowing its tail trailing behind him - was a man wearing light leather armour on top of a mail hauberk. A sword sat at his hip alongside a dagger, and his breastplate was emblazoned with the same symbol as the banner. The last time Lewyn had seen Marro Vyhar was shortly after they had won the Siege of Lys, back when the prince and his cousin had been in the employ of the Children of the Viper -  the sellsword company founded by his Uncle Oberyn. Since then, he had heard nothing from the man who had once served as his loyal lieutenant.

"Who died and made you Captain?" Lewyn asked as Marro brought his horse to a stop. Marro offered him a wolfish smile, shaking his head as his horse whinnied and trotted about. "Ah, the old captain fucked off to live in a fancy palace and have servants wipe his arse for him."

"I'd be careful," Lewyn warned, the humourous tone of his voice clear. Marro jumped off his horse to walk over to Lewyn. "You're talking to a Prince of Dorne."

"Really? I thought I was talking to the madman that sacked Lys." Marro laughed, shaking his head as he passed his banner to a soldier behind him. A wry smile worked its way onto Lewyn's lip. "Surprisingly, they're the same person."

"I couldn't tell with that stick up your arse."

They looked at each other for a long moment, the air tense as they had a staring contest. Eventually, they burst out laughing, pulling each other into a hug. They parted, happy to be back in the other's presence. Lewyn let out a sigh.

"You wouldn't happen to be my welcoming party?" The Martell prince asked. Marro nodded, gesturing behind him at the platoon of men standing ready. "Magister Illyrio likes to get his money's worth."

"You're working for the Magister?" Ned asked, stepping closer to Lewyn's side. Lewyn was grateful for him. He would happily admit that having his cousin by his side made him rest easier. Edric would always have his back, no matter what.

Marro smiled at Edric. Ned had never taken to him or to being a sellsword quite as well as Lewyn had. "As long as he keeps paying us, yes."

"Well, shall we visit our host?" The Dornishman asked, wrapping his arms around both men. Which was an awkward position seeing as Edric was two inches taller than him and Marro was a few shorter. If he had to fight, it would be hard to defend himself. But, that was what the Children of the Viper were for.