Chapter V - Lewyn

A Message Carried By Ravens

Lewyn tried to ignore the undulations of the ship as he sparred with Ser Gerris Drinkwater. The blond charged at him, thrusting forward with his sword. Lewyn caught the attack on the curve of his scimitar, using that position to thrust over Gerris' sword and towards him.

Luckily, Ser Gerris stepped back and narrowly avoided getting stabbed. Lewyn smiled, winking at a cabin hand who was watching with interest. Nearly a month of celibacy had driven him mad, Lewyn was sure of it. What was the point of being open to pursuing men and women if the bounds of marriage left him unable to pursue either?

Besides, being at sea for nearly two months was also proving to be an issue. While Lewyn wasn't seasick, he had been gripped by a different kind of fever. Every day, he thought of abandoning the mission he had been given. If sailing was how he was to meet Daenerys Targaryen, then the last child of Old Valyria could live without him.

"Another round, my prince?" Ser Gerris asked. Lewyn shook his head, taking a sip from a goblet of wine. He allowed the sweet taste to wash away his urge to vomit. Lewyn gulped it down, holding his breath for a moment as he waited for the nausea to pass.

"How about you, Archibald?" Gerris asked Ser Archibald Yronwood. Lewyn let out a chuckle, "Only if you want him to rip you in half, Drink."

Lewyn knew the nickname annoyed the knight, but it had become popular among them. And, it was a sign that perhaps their time together was evolving into something more than a political mission. He might even go so far as to say that Gerris and Archibald were his friends.

"I'm a bit too fond of my head for that," Gerris replied, "And the women would cry profusely if I died."

"I'm sure they'll survive," Luke Rivers joked from his place on the sidelines. Lewyn chuckled, shaking his head at them. He reacted for the barrel he had used as a makeshift table, first taking the sheath for his scimitar and sliding the sword into it. Then, he took his outer robe and pulled it on, not bothering to belt it to him. He didn't need to be so formal when they were on a boat at sea.

"It was a good session, Drink," Lewyn said, clapping the man on his back, "Now, I would like you to give Luke another lesson with the sword."

He turned away from the deck, moving to disappear into the bowels of the ship. They wouldn't take too long to arrive in Pentos, where he would meet with Illyrio Mopatis, and the two of them could discuss his plan of action going forward. He still needed to find and recruit the Windblown, which would be difficult, but the Magister of Pentos was a resourceful man.

Lewyn journeyed through the ship until he came to Maester Myles' cabin. He opened the door, not bothering to knock as he entered. Inside, Edric sat, looking at two ravens in cages as Myles cared for a third. On the table were two pieces of parchment. The prince looked at the wax seals, seeing the sigil of House Nymeros Martell on one of the unopened messages and a spider on the other.

"Ah, Prince Lewyn." Myles greeted, seeing Lewyn walk into the room. Ser Edric nodded towards his cousin, Lewyn returning the gesture. The Martell heir sat at the table, reaching for one of the messages. Edric settled behind him, content to stand guard for his best friend.

"The raven came from Pentos this morning, a message from your sister." Maester Myles explained. Lewyn nodded in response, breaking the wax seal as he unfolded the parchment. He looked it over, taking in the neat handwriting that undoubtedly belonged to Arianne. The letter brought news from his sister, updating him on the situation in Dorne as she used to when he travelled Essos as a sellsword.

Dearest brother,

I hope this letter finds you well, growing fat off the goods of the Cheese Monger's manse. The situation at home, however, is dire. In your absence, I have taken over your duties as Prince-Regent and Lord Judiciar, Father still refuses to meet with me. To make matters worse, he has once again shown me less-than-desirable suitors for a potential marriage.