Chapter 10: Old Blood

Quillan looked up at the castle, he saw candlelight coming from the top of the tallest tower. That's also where he felt the vampiric presence he'd just about noticed a few minutes ago, they were either weaker than that wannabe queen or exceptionally good at hiding their presence. The lovely fellow in town who'd given him to directions to the place had said that the rumoured mystic had supposedly lived here for hundreds of years, that made him at least as old as Quillan; so he held onto hope. It was a nice place, nice door too. It was a shame what was about to happen to it. Vallentin felt the front door shatter. With a click and a flicker of candles he appeared at the top of the stairs of the entry hall and took in the scene. His lovely hardwood door had turned to splinters that littered the hall, and a man in a red coat and round shades was striding arrogantly through the wreckage. Vallentin's everpresent anxiety was ground to dust by his fury. "BEGONE WRETCH!" he bellowed with a hate more intense than he'd felt in centuries.Quillan was stopped dead by the booming voice of this vampire, it was loud as thunder and spat with an intense viscera that reminded him of his younger years. But it wasn't just the sound. This vampire's power was also laid to bare. It was vast, all-consuming and filled even Quillan with a primal fear; so intense that it created a physical pressure that even a mortal could feel acutely. Quillan became glad for his shades, hiding the millisecond of fear before he remembered who he was, and that his hunch about their power was right. He had no idea if this man would be a match for him, it had been a long time since that happened. After another beat to compose himself, Quillan spoke; "Good evening to you too my friend. I think introductions are in order for this beautiful new friendship, my name is Quillan," he performed an extravagant bow."I am Lord Vallentin Adolich," Vallentin spat back, "and if you want to be friends then I'm going to need a new door; and for you to stop killing humans, I can smell the blood on your breath from here.""A guy's gotta eat!" Quillan shrugged."I can feel your power, you're well beyond self sufficient by now. You do not.""Ya caught me red handed!""This friendship is off to a poor start.""Then I'll cut to the chase. We've both been around a few centuries and I'm starting to think that's a bit too long. I have a hunch that you agree. So how about we have a bit of bloody fun and put one thing or another to an end.""You've underestimated a lot about me, worm. For starters I'm quickly approaching a millenium on this Earth, secondly my value for this world and the life upon it is drastically higher than yours. I have found meaning in an immortal life, think on it another century or two and you can do the same. Now get out." Vallentin had quelled his anger and spoke in a calm but stern tone. He realised quickly during Quillan's nihilistic ramblings that he was very close to slipping onto a similar path some time ago; one of the rooms of this castle that he dare not venture into still housed a wooden stake stained with his blood. He could only hope that this beast could save himself as he did. Unfortunately he seemed unmoved from his arrogance."A new meaning huh?" Quillan grinned confidently, "Would that be the fresh blood I can smell upstairs?"Vallentin lunged toward him.