87 ∞ Under Fire

Shortlisted – Day 0005

As Gareth pulled back to exchange glances with Harlin, a man approached them with a gratuitous smile.

"Captain Quinton? Would you like me to go out and announce your presence, or would you prefer to do it yourself?"

It took only a moment for Harlin to overcome his surprise at the question. "I guess I can do it myself. Might as well get this over with."

With that, Harlin straightened himself and strode out onto the stage. The room quietened as he approached the podium. He positioned himself and waited as the silence grew.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome. I am Captain Harlin Quinton. You may have heard the rumors by now. I come before you to make an announcement. To give you the facts and put any speculation to rest.

"One of our Two Hundred, Captain Gareth Levant, asked to be removed from the list after learning his wife's been diagnosed with Rapid Progression Ahron's disease."

He paused to let his words sink in.

"This news saddened the LS project team. However, Mr. Mayfine was not content to just let matters rest, so a full review of Captain Levant's file commenced. They found that he made outstanding marks for compatibility with the Living Ship Canaisis, far superior to anyone else. The hope is if Captain Levant could successfully complete the Emergency Navigation System, then his wife could be put into cold sleep.

"However, medical examinations revealed that his wife does not have enough time for him to undergo the ENS procedure. In fact, she's in the hospital as I speak. It seemed to be hopeless, but Mr. Mayfine turned to the Living Ships themselves to help find options. In conjunction with the hard-working LS project team members, a glimmer of hope was found. If Captain Levant was willing to take the risk, that is."

He let the tension build in the hushed room, then he raised his arm toward Gareth and beckoned to him. Gareth tugged his captain's coat straight and walked onto the stage to stand beside Harlin, who turned back to the microphone.

"I'm proud to say he did not hesitate. The slim margin of hope is that the ENS-Nanos procedure can be accelerated, hopefully in time to help his wife.

"By surviving the ENS procedure, Captain Levant will become the LS Canaisis Captain and crew member. This will allow him to have his wife placed in cold sleep in hopes a cure will become available for her in the future.

"This accelerated procedure comes with a higher risk, of course. Fatality is estimated at fifty percent. As I said, Captain Levant didn't hesitate to accept. But... before I give over the podium so you can ask questions, I want to make an announcement."

Placing his hand on Gareth's shoulder, Harlin turned to look Gareth in the eye as he continued speaking.

"The possibility of Captain Levant dying for—and before—his wife is very real. So I stand before him right now to tell him that I've got his best interests at heart. I'm going to do my best to look out for him and his wife, so he can have peace of mind and hope that his effort is not in vain."

Puzzled, Gareth searched Harlin's eyes. What stunt was Harlin up to this time? To Gareth's surprise, Harlin put his arm around him and pulled him up tight while addressing the audience in a louder voice.

"I and the LS project team members have set up two foundations to accept donations from all who hear my words and feel the call to help. The first is to raise the finances necessary to get Mrs. Levant into cold sleep for as long as possible regardless of Captain Levant's outcome."