93 ∞ Final Exchanges

Shortlisted Week 169

Back in his room, Gareth donned his captain's uniform and began the process of packing a duffel bag to take with him to his ship. A knock on his door interrupted him halfway through, and he went to answer it. Finding his friend standing there did not surprise him.

"How'd it go?" Harlin asked.

"It was unexpected-that's all I can say."

"I gotcha. Don't sweat it. When I can't even weasel a clue out of Maat, I know it's serious. Anyways, I was hoping we'd have the week getting settled into our new homes, and we could stay in touch. But I heard from your first officer you're breaking orbit as soon as possible."

"There's no need for an adjustment period. Canaisis has had plenty of time to get used to me as her Captain. Plus, the crew and I started training a month before everybody else. We're ready."

"Yeah, I know all that. Doesn't mean I like it," quipped Harlin. "They could've still given you all a little more time. After all, this is a big step. There isn't any going back once FTL is activated."

Gareth reached out and patted Harlin's arm. "They're giving us a little time, just not much. We'll see each other again in the future, Harlin. Don't worry. Besides, you'll have a long time to get to know an A.I. that Maat helped create. That should keep you entertained and distracted."

Harlin gave a small, appreciative flicker of a smile. "It should be interesting, no doubt. Oh, I almost forgot. Khanisk told me to tell you she got that whole stunt on the promenade walkway recorded from below. I watched it, and you made quite an impression on the crowd. She says it will make a good addition to her other video recording."

The shuttle flight with Harlin... There was nothing he could do about that video. With a resigned shake of the head, Gareth massaged his temples with one hand to prevent pain from taking hold between his brows.

"Thanks for letting me know."

The pregnant pause made him look back up through his fingers. Harlin was gleaming with an evil grin.

"I had the compilation sent down to several news agencies."

Gareth dropped his hand and lifted his head to regard Harlin, mind racing. There were various ways he could dispose of the body if he were inclined to do so. He shook his head, squinting the corner of an eye at him. "You didn't."

Harlin chuckled.

Gareth shook his head again in resignation. "So... what are you doing right now, Harlin?"

"Talking to you. I wanted to see you, walk with you down to the Isra shuttle. The other Seven and crews will meet you there. Captain Lanesh is a little jealous because you're being dropped off first. But since it's our shuttle, we're last. I'm piloting."

"Alright. Give me a moment to finish packing."

Gareth returned to his bed and stuffed the rest of his folded clothes into the duffel bag. He slung it and the cylinder with the sketch by its strap over one shoulder and turned around, casting his gaze around. There was only one thing left, a collar pin sitting in plain sight on his desk. He stepped over to pick it up, and tossed it up and down in his palm.

Turning to Harlin, he tossed the pin. Harlin caught it in midair and gazed at it.

"I didn't get a chance to find a box for it," Gareth said, "but Maat helped me get this for you."

"What's this?"

"My way of trying to say thank you for all you've done."

"No, I mean, what is this?" Harlin looked closer at the pin, no doubt making out the Canaisis symbol etched into it.