Day 13: Split Second Decisions

Prompt: Explosion

Title: Split Second Decisions

Fandom: Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

Warnings: Gun violence, bullet wounds, explosions, blood, knives.

Word Count: 4,133 (too long. why the heck is this so long?! that would explain why it took almost a week to write! gah - I honestly don't like this, but it needed to get done)

Synopsis: When a third joins the pair that have been on the run and in hiding for who knows how long, they both agree that nothing, no matter what may happen, can happen to the temporary addition to their team. But, when things do happen to go sideways, can their uphold their agreement and protect their friend from the harms they've been dealing with no matter where they go?

----

Split Second Decisions

A cool wind bites at your cheeks from where you stand, overlooking the rainy streets of Vienna, the steady hum of the nighttime traffic mixing with the chatter of many voices below, soothing your heightened senses.

It's been quite a while since you'd been around this many people, most of them wealthy.

You feel extremely out of place, which is odd, considering your many years of training and field work which involved this very type of scenario.

But, times have changed.

You've been on the run.

For who knows how long.

In fact, it had been quite a risk for you and your Partner to even make this appearance, considering there had been rumors floating around that this evening was all but a setup for some shady dealing...

Or even an assassination attempt.

On whom, you're still not entirely sure.

But one thing you do know is that you're still uneasy about roping Benji Dunn into all of this.

It had been a subject of debate and discussion for quite some while before the date of this evening had even arrived.

"We can't do this by ourselves. Look how many times we've tried, failed and innocent people have lost their lives," Your Partner and fiancé had exclaimed, gesturing to the various newspaper clippings and crudely printed images the pair of you had plastered to the wall of the rather decrepit, dingy apartment you'd been calling home for the time being.

"I can't let that happen again. Not when we can get another set of eyes on the scene and bring him in."

Solomon Lane.

Illusive.

That's the only word to really describe the former MI6 Agent, other than psychotic.

The man is an absolute terror to witness first-hand.

Cold and ruthless in his dealings, willing to sacrifice millions if it achieves his goal.

For the longest time, Lane had been merely dubbed "the man in glasses" by yourself and your Partner.

You'd both spent your days attempting to keep up with the terrorist, hellbent on proving your innocence and that the Syndicate, Lane's army of followers, were the ones the CIA should be after, instead of the pair of you.

And all your efforts had led to this moment - yet another night which could end in horrible disaster...

Just like every other event Lane has touched.