Day 15: By Your Side

Prompt: Stitches

Title: By Your Side

Fandom: Devotion (2022 movie)

Warnings: Blood, injuries, stitches, airplane crashes

Word Count: 2,451

Author's Note: This story takes place in 1950, during the early days of the Korean War. Though this story will draw from historical aspects, it will also draw on some of my own ideas and more alternate reality type scenarios. Also! I found this awesome ambience on YouTube (not mine!) that I wrote this story to! Have a listen while you read! 

Synopsis: When the pilots Y/N spends countless hours alongside begin to practice in the new F4U Corsairs that their branch of the US Navy have been supplied in preparation of the Korean War, she finds herself amongst the uncertainty and nerves of it all, narrowly avoiding what could've very well been a complete catastrophe. 

----

By Your Side

The rumblings of a brewing conflict overseas...

The paper work you'd only just seen a few weeks ago - a note about the introduction of some new planes for America's best pilots to learn how to fly.

In case they're called to action.

Sighing heavily, you take a sip out of the foam cup of water you'd grabbed previously, continuing your organizing.

Papers litter the desk in front of you, the writing across them almost a blur to your fading, blurring gaze.

It had been another late night last night - he'd insisted that the pair of you stay up and spend some time together since the days are pretty much wrapped up in work and constant duties.

And you get it.

You're equally as worried about what could soon become reality.

A reality that this Navy, these pilots, need to be prepared to face, head on, by learning every possible inch of these new additions to the fleet.

The Vought F4U Corsair.

Beautiful machines - anyone even not associated with the Navy could tell you that much.

But, though beautiful, they're tricky.

"I can't see as much as I'm used to," Jesse Brown, one of your closest friends since being posted to the Quonset Point air station, had explained to you after his first test flight, your smaller figure having a slight difficulty keeping up to his longer strides across the tarmac.

"Yeah, it's certainly gonna take some getting used to, there's no doubt about that," Tom Hudner, your boyfriend, had chimed in, his boots hitting the ground with a thud as he'd practically leaped from his own plane, running to join you and Jesse on your way in for the usual debrief.

"You'll have to have quite a bit of faith in your instruments," You'd mused over the roar of the rest of the squadron taxiing to a halt farther down from where you'd just been.

Jesse had just sighed heavily and hurried ahead, leaving both you and Tom in his wake.

Shrugging away your thoughts, you once more vainly attempt to focus on the papers and file folders in front of you, only to fail miserably, dragging a palm down your face with an exaggerated sigh.