Day 17: Sick Days

Prompt: Isolation

Title: Sick Days

Fandom: VALORANT

Warnings: Being sick, mentions of guilt, fear and loneliness

Word Count: 1,746 (yes! short and sweet because i desperately wanted to move on!!!!)

Author's Note: A/N = Agent Name 

Synopsis: When A/N falls sick and is unable to lead the Mission she was supposed to be leading, another one of her Teammates must take her place, leaving her with someone who she's not quite all that sure of...

----

Sick Days

You'd figured something like this would happen.

At the worst time.

Right as things are finally ramping up around here...

You mumble something even your own ears can't comprehend as you roll over onto your side, the back of your hand being placed against your forehead.

Hot. Incredibly warm.

Grimacing, you exhale shakily, your groggy thoughts moving far too quickly for your liking.

What do I do now? I can't lead a Mission like this.

Almost as if the universe had heard your thoughts, a familiar sounding knock on your door pulls you back to reality, your gaze skimming over towards the entrance to your dimly lit quarters.

"C'mon, A/N! We've gotta get a move on or we'll never hear the end of it!" The cheerfully optimistic accented tone of Phoenix sounds through the door, muffled slightly.

This just earns a groan from you, your head beginning to pound, your throat as dry as sandpaper.

A beat of silence settles when you make no effort to answer, the sound of a much gentler wrap at the door gaining your attention.

"You okay in there, Y/N?"

That's Jett's softer tone, not carrying its usual teasing and competitive edge to it.

They're concerned.

"N-Not really!" You manage to rasp out aloud, your voice echoing back at you in the empty space.

This time, the pair on the other side of the door make no effort to reply, instead, their footsteps retreat with a haste to them, one that makes your exhausted thoughts spike in confusion.

I don't sound that sick, do I?

Flopping back against your pillows with a heavy sigh, you mentally curse, your bleary gaze wandering the bleak ceiling.

This is unbelievable.

And as you lie there, drifting in and out of a fevered slumber, one last thought crosses your mind.

What now?

****

"You were supposed to be Team leader out there, A/N! Your team needed your skills but you weren't there to cover them!"

"They are gone because of your absence, Y/N."

Your heart hammers against your chest as you bolt upright in bed, your head rushing at your sudden movements.

Though a gentle, reassuring hand rests on your shoulders, gently urging you back down where you'd come from.

And for the first time, you finally survey your surroundings completely.