Just Breathe

"Again."

I'm exhausted. My very bones are shaking with exhaustion. And I'm about to rip Argent's head off.

Except I can't. Because I condemned myself to numbness. Accidentally.

I've not been able to shift since last night and apparently, I have to.

Because Argent wants me to open my mind. My mind. Does he think I have a third eye???

And despite the exhaustion, I still keep going. The same routine. Over and over again.

Just like my phone has gone off. Over and over again. And my exhaustion is my main excuse. Why?

Because seventy-two times. The same fight. Seventy-two times.

"Again!"

"I am going to shove my foot in your mouth," I grumble while clutching my knees to my stomach in pain.

"Do it when you shift."

He's making me fight him until I beat him. And I don't mean until he accepts defeat. Until I get angry. Angry to the point of killing.

Angry till the point I'm supernatural.
And I can't. He wants me to see something I'm incapable of.

I don't know what the hell it is but if it's my dying of exhaustion I'm almost there.

"Skyler." He harshly commands me to go again.

"No!" I yelled trying to stop wheezing. "Stop it! Leave me alone!"

I slide my back against the wall and rest my head between my knees. He kneels down next to me showing no signs of empathy.

"You think an Argent gives up? Do you think even after they've been tossed around like crap they let the predator rip them apart in the most painful way?"

"Fuck off," I muttered too tired to listen.

"You think because your an emotional wreck and damaged I'm gonna let you off easy? You think your mother would let you off this easy? Tell you to stop trying?"

I cover my eyes with my palms and slightly move my head from side to side. "No," I croak.

"So, again. Use your abilities. Go again."

"I can't!"

"Again."

My lip wobbles and I just about manage to stand on my feet getting into a defensive stance.

Again. Again. Again. Again. I can't go fucking again.

"Skyler," his glare remains on me and I was focussing. Until my phone decided to ring again.

Scott. And suddenly I've got a fraction of suppressed anger telling me to go again. Telling me to feel.

Again.

I charge forward ducking his first punch and pulling him forward by his arm to kick him in his back. But he's caught my leg in an instant. And I'm back on the floor with his arm locked on my neck.

"You said you wanted me to come back, do you regret it?"

I shake my head but don't say anything. I scrape at his arms trying to force him off choking me to death.

"You look angry Skyler but you're not fighting like it."

"Because I can't," I whisper using everything human inside me to flip us both forward.

I've been fighting like a human since we started at five in the morning. I can't shift. I physically cannot do it.

His forcing me into it isn't going to work. It can't.