Scauldron

Type: Tidal

Development

Originally, the Scauldron was going to be much smaller, around the size of a Monstrous Nightmare, with a shorter neck. Early concept art depicts the Scauldron with a thin membrane inside its mouth, covering the lower jaw when it's not filled with water.

Physical Appearance:Egg

In School of Dragons, Scauldron eggs are bluish in color, ranging from turquoise to cyan and even shades of dark green. They are oblong in shape. But in Dragons: Rise of Berk, they look the same, except that they have a clear liquid flowing off its top that resembles water, yet more viscous.

Hatchling to Adult

This dragon is gigantic, growing up to a size nearly the same as many giant cetaceans. It is a huge sea dragon that walks on four stubby and powerful legs. They have intense obesity to heat the water they suck in. Its tail is like that of a fish, helping it to swim. When filled with water, the Scauldron's stomach protrudes out and becomes very round. Its neck is very long and thin, and its head is usually fairly slender with its bottom jaw having a sort of pouch that hangs from its chin. When it is out of water for a long time, it begins to dehydrate due to which its skin turns into a shade of grey.

Its bottom jaw is very flexible, and it bulges out when filled with water. The bulging of its jaw is an indication that it is going to shoot boiling water. Its eyes are located near the front of its face, and it has a thin, curving nasal horn. It has peg like teeth that are ideal for catching fish, very sharp, and also happen to be venomous. Two or more whisker-like strings are connected to the Scauldrons' upper jaw. They have only been seen in three colors: turquoise, green, and pale blue, although they change color into parched gray when their body loses moisture and, according to Mildew's Misery's description in Dragons: Rise of Berk, into dark blue after eating a large amount of Blue Oleander flowers. These colors are close to that of the ocean and it could serve as a form of camouflage.

In Dragons: Race to the Edge, orange and yellow Scauldrons were seen, revealing it is possible for Scauldrons to come in other colors.

Titan Wing

Titan Wing Scauldrons are dark blue in color and their tail fin and wings have an elaborate pattern of water droplet shaped pink spots. There are tints of light blue and purple on its wings too. Also, they have grown two more horns on the top of their snouts. Along with that, the little tentacles on their chin are thicker, and more spread out, and spines have been known to grow on their long, slender neck. They have a rotund belly to store and boil the water that they have collected.

AbilitiesRechargeable Firepower

The Scauldrons are mostly considered as non-fire breathers, but they possess sources of heat other than a fire. According to Fishlegs, a Scauldron's water is hot enough to peel the scales off of a Screaming Death.

Because of their water-breathing ability, Scauldrons are one of the few dragons that can easily take down a Skrill. Because they live in water, Scauldrons are one of the few dragons to be able to refill their shot limit.

In School of Dragons: Dragon Tactics, they have an ability called "Steam", which poisons the target, suggesting they can shoot water with venom in it.

Venom and Immunity

It is revealed that the venom of these dragons is the only known antidote for dragons to the critically noxious Blue Oleander; they have tolerances to the flowers despite being an aquatic species. According to Hiccup, Scauldron venom can kill a human within 24 hours. According to Fishlegs a Scauldron venom might be delivered in the same way that snake venom is, being contained within their teeth as demonstrated by Mildew's Misery, and it's injected into their prey from a bite. An alternative to spreading their venom is they can combine with their ability to spit boiling water.