Chapter 4: Is Your Mom Insane?

"Hide and seek!" Flora yells out standing up on the couch in the living room. "Let's play hide and seek!" She yells out excitedly again. "Now by games to play, I was expecting a more classy one, like a board game" the lady replies with a chuckle. "No!! We should play hide and seek!!"

Miles and I just returned back to the house after horse-riding, I wasn't sure if I had the energy to run around this humungous mansion too. The lady goes on, "well, return on time"

"We will, Ms!" Flora replies optimistically before turning her eyes to my Mom who was standing next to me. "You're it!" she points. "Me?" my mom smiles. "Yea you! Now take this flashlight. And y/n, Miles, let's run!!"

My mom takes the flashlight and then closes her eyes, counting to 30.

Miles, Flora and I start running. I whisper, "I don't know where to hide!" Flora already bucks out of me and Miles' sight, so it's just us running down a staircase alone together. "I know a good spot. Don't worry" he whispers while we continue to run down the stairs. Now in a weird, creepy and dark looking basement. "She'll never dare to find us here" he laughs walks and then slides in between 2 bookshelves that were weirdly close to one another, making the gap between them small, not to mention that it was immersed in dirt. I let out a slight groan of disgust while sliding in, miles and me were now touching arms. "Now, be quiet!"

After a minute, we hear footsteps from the staircase. Miles turns to me and smiles widely, "she's coming!" he whispers into my ear. We peep through the empty shelves to see Kate walking down the stairs, yelling out, "Are you in here??"

"Shh" he turns his head to me, I nod. As Kate walks further and further, Miles takes my hand and we slowly slide out the other direction of the book shelf. "Are you... in here?" she provokes as she looks behind one of the book shelves. Miles then sits me down behind an old, rusty looking chair, as he sits down next to me after. We were both now very close to each other, hiding behind something so dirty. "I didn't expect her to go here! We have to scare her out or she'll find us, no doubt" he whispers into my ear as softly as possible. Not gonna lie but I felt tingles from feeling his mouth on my ear. I see a mannequin next to Kate from behind, I then grab a random rock that happened to be on the floor, and throw it on the mannequin, causing it to fall down onto the floor right next to Kate.

My Mom lets out a scream as she jumps back at the fallen mannequin. Miles holds in his laugh as he chuckles into his sweater. "Who are you!?" I suddenly hear my mom yell, which causes me and Miles to look back up at her in confusion of what she was saying. "No, get away from me!" she begins to run. Me and Miles give each other a weird look, before he starts laughing once she finally leaves the room up the stairs. "She thought it was a person? Either way, good job, y/n" he takes his hand out, signaling me for a high five, which I give him.

I feel bad for scaring my Mom like that, but I don't know why she thought it was a real person.

After a few minutes, we decide to leave the room. Flora was already at the living room with the fireplace, playing with her dolls. "Where's Kate?" I ask. "Don't know. I thought she was still finding you guys" Me and Miles glance at each other. "Let's just wait here!" Flora smiles.

Me and Miles take a seat down at the couch, he picks up a biscuit and starts eating. No sign of my mom after a few minutes, I begin to get worried, especially after her weird behaviour with the mannequin. We then hear some russling outside the living room. "YOU!" She walks in, pointing at Miles, with a nose bleed. "Mom! What happened to your nose?"

"YOU! What is wrong with you? YOU did this," she continues to point at Miles, getting closer and closer. "Huh?" Miles asks confused, just as I was. She points at her nose, then back at Miles. "You are sick!" "I didn't do anything!" he replies back. The lady then walks in, "Goodness gracious, Kate! Why are you accusing Miles of your nose bleed?" "He... he threw a body at me! I don't know what it was, but it had a human body!" "He did no such thing! Are you losing your mind, Kate?" "Mom! Stop!" I plead as she gets more and more infuriated with Miles. "I threw the mannequin at you! It was me!" "No, y/n! It was not. I saw him. I saw him behind me!" "No, Mom, you didn't. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you that bad, but it was I who threw the mannequin on the floor"

My mom looked... insane right now. And I was embarrassed but worried for her at the same time. The blood from her nose was dripping down onto the floor. "You need rest, Kate! You've lost your mind" the lady yells. My mom, now slightly calmer, leaves the room. After a few seconds, Miles turns to me and whispers so that the lady doesn't hear him, "What the fuck is wrong with your Mom" Miles then walks out the room abruptly. Shit, I hope Mom didn't anger him. "Flora and y/n. Go get some rest. It's late" I then walk out the living room.

While walking down the hallway, I feel embarrassed to what just happened. I enter my room and lay down. I think of everything that just happened until a few minutes pass and I hear a knock at the door, before seeing a familiar figure, Miles, walk in, closing the door. In my slightly half-asleep state, I call out, "...Miles?" He sits down on the bed, while I'm still laying down.

"I'm sorry" his head looking down at the floor, his back arched.

I don't reply.

"I shouldn't have said that about your mom. It was my fault that we hid in there. I knew it was a scary place. And I gave you the idea to scare her even more. Sorry" he says in a soft voice, still staring down at the ground beneath him.

"Miles..."

"Do you forgive me, y/n?" he turns his head to me.

"Okay"

A small smile forms on his face as he begins to stare down at my face. His eyes look like as if they're scanning my face from top to bottom. My eyes, my nose, my lips, then my cheeks.

Then all of a sudden, he leans in, and kisses me on the cheek, "Goodnight, y/n." then getting up from my bed and walking out of my room. My face felt red from that gesture. Oh my gosh.