Chapter 5: Safer With You

I wake up to my alarm, instead of Miles this time. Although, slightly wishing it was him instead, for some odd reason. I get up and change into my clothes. I then walk out of my room, hearing some sort of heavy music from Miles' room, but I ignore it. I don't see Miles eating with the others, and my Mom, this time. I wondered why. I sit down next to my Mom and begin to eat. After finishing my meal, I leave the room. I didn't say much to my mom the entire time, and neither did anyone else. The atmosphere was stiff.

I walk up the stairs, to the hallway where my and Miles' rooms were, the drumming was still going on, which instead of ignoring, confuses me. I was planning to enter my room, but as my hand was nudging at the doorknob, something stopped me. I turn my head around and look at Miles' door which was closed shut. Whatever was in me, was making me slowly, slowly walk towards his door. I stand outside his door for a good 10 seconds before finally lifting my hand and knocking. It sounded like drums, really loud drums. I didn't know if it was him beating it or not. "Miles?" I call out from the door. I wasn't getting any response, and the sound of the drums was still as loud as ever.

Without a second thought, I turn the doorknob and open the door. But wasn't expecting what I was going to see.

Miles was beating the drums, with passion, so much passion. Clothes were strummed all across the room messily. It was even louder now, my ears felt like they were going to ring soon. "Miles!" I yell out from the door. He doesn't seem to hear me. "Miles!!" I yell out even louder, now walking closer. He pauses. Then looks up at me in surprise.

"Miles, what are you doing?" He still looks up at me his jaw slightly opened. He then turns his head back around and faces his drums. "Miles. What are you doing?" I ask again.

He then gets up from his seat and sits down on his bed, that wasn't even a real-looking bed. I walk and then sit down next to him. His arms were wrapped around his legs that were tightened against his chest. "Miles. Are you okay?" I ask.

"y/n"

"What?"

He doesn't respond. He looks sad, and it confuses me.

"I have to tell you something"

"What is it?"

There are some things that I can't control. And I don't know why," he says softly

It takes me a few seconds to take what he says all in. "What... do you mean?"

"Would you understand, y/n?"

...

"I don't know, Miles. But we can see if I'll understand once you finally tell me. I won't judge you" I say softly before placing one of my hands on his shoulder, and then taking it off after.

A small smile forms on his face like my reassurance had made him feel better.

He then turns his head around, facing me abruptly. "Yesterday. Hide and Seek. Us. Your Mom"

"Yeah... and what about it?" I question.

"It was my fault"

"What was?"

He gulps. "Everything. I disliked your mom when she first got here. And I knew Flora would eventually one day make us all play hide and seek with her, like she's done with every other babysitter. So, I placed some mannequins that belonged inside of one of the old rooms here, that's filled with dolls, into that old rusty library down stairs." he goes on.

"I chose the scariest looking one on purpose, y/n. I placed them all around the house" he looks up at me.

I look up at him in shock, "Why did you dislike her... so much?"