CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX: FOREVER

Everyone in the house was awake and sat in the living room by the time Kevin completed his phone call.

"John Sr. says he will absolutely handle his son," Kevin told the room as he took the final available seat in Madeline's vacant recliner. "I don't know if you heard me relaying all the information you'd both given me about what went down at the hospital, but his son's behavior absolutely mortified him.

"The good news, depending how you choose to look at it, is that his mother, Lisa, has been hearing rumors about John Jr. having a fling with a co-worker at his father's company. She discovered the rumor was true the morning of the engagement party, where it was also discovered the young woman was pregnant."

"How is that good news?" Madeline asked, seeming otherwise unaffected by her fiancé sleeping around.

Kevin shrugged. "It means he was likely more upset you ended things, rather than obsessed over saving the relationship. Anyhow, the young woman is now suing the company since it appears John Jr. coerced her into an affair by telling her he'd be taking over the company soon, and promising her a higher paid position. So, I'll have my hands full with that, and John Jr. will be transferred to the new mill they're building over in Plymouth. It's not exactly justice for either woman, but it gets him out of area."

Once Kevin allowed a few moments to pass, he turned his attention to Madeline's parents, who he'd only managed a quick wave to while he was on the phone. "I'm Kevin Shaw, by the way. I'm Elijah's uncle."

Mary did a sort of lopsided nod. "I noticed the resemblance."

"So did Madeline," Elijah added before taking a drink of his coffee.

Minus Madeline, who gave him an elbow to the stomach, no one appeared to notice his comment, and Mary continued on. "I'm Mary, and this is Mitch. We're Elijah's parents. Well, Madeline's parents, technically, but also Elijah's. I believe I remember seeing you at the funeral a few years back."

"I'm sorry, but how do you know Johnathan's family?" Mitch asked, cutting into the conversation.

"I'm their lawyer," Kevin explained. "Most of my clients live in this city, so I keep a second home and office here. When I inquired about the cameras all over the place, Elijah explained the situation, who the person was, and so forth. Before he told me, I was expecting to have to do so more digging to find a connection, but it seems like Lady Luck was on our side today."

"It's about time she showed up," Elijah couldn't help but mutter.

Madeline entwined their fingers and brought them upward toward her mouth to place a soft kiss on his knuckles. "If I'd never gotten hit by that car, I could have married that man," she reminded him. "He could have hid all of this from me. Instead, I ended up at the hospital, and that brought you back to me. I think Lady Luck's been on our side this whole time."

He was so lost in the woman by his side; he hadn't noticed her parents were staring at him until Mary set her coffee cup down on the table and spoke. "So, what the hell is happening here? Did I miss something?"

Elijah didn't know if it was only Mitch noticing them sharing a bed, or if they both had, and Mary just thought nothing of it, assuming it was strictly the friendship they were trying to rekindle. At first, that was honestly all Elijah dared hope for. But through their tribulations, things shifted, and Elijah wasn't about to miss his chance by remaining silent.

Mitch was certainly aware of his intentions, as Elijah flat out told him what he still felt for Madeline, and if she ever gifted him the chance to be happy with her, he'd take it. Elijah was aware of Mitch's concern, as he made it very clear, but he hadn't brought the topic up since Elijah made his conviction on the topic crystal clear.

He tried to risk a quick look to Madeline, who now appeared to be hiding her blushing face in the crook of his neck. "As soon as Madeline's healed, I'm going to buy her a ring, get down on one knee, and I'm going to ask her to marry me."

Elijah knew, probably since before they first kissed, that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with this woman. While he was sure he sounded like a crazy person making this sort of declaration considering they hadn't shared a kiss in four years, Elijah knew his heart, and knew hers. His desire to wake up every with Madeline in his arms never faded in the time they were apart, and it never would.

Seeing as her recovery could take up to a year, it wasn't like he was rushing everything by stating his intentions. He had a year to take her out on dates, to spend holidays with her, to be there for her when she needed him. A year to cohabitate, learn each other's quirks, to show her the sort of love she deserved without running scared. A year to prove to her, himself, and to her parents they were forever.

And once she said yes, assuming she'd say yes, Elijah would finally make love to her. Seeing as she was engaged to be married, he figured she was no longer a virgin. But that wasn't important to him before, and it wasn't important now. It would still be their first time with someone they were truly and unconditionally in love with. That was the only first he needed.

"We haven't even talked about that other thing yet," Madeline spoke at his side, no longer hiding and at full attention.

"What other thing?"

"The thing we broke up over before," Madeline reminded him.

They had talked about it to an extent, but not in terms of the future. Only the past. But it was something he'd thought about time and time again, long before she ever re-entered his life. One she had come back into her life, the dreams began.

Sleeping next to his dream catcher didn't just keep away his nightmares, which had dwindled over the last couple of years, but caused him to dream of a future he could have if she continued sleeping by his side.

"That had nothing to do with me not liking children, or not liking the idea of having one. It was about what kind of father I'd be. I didn't have a handle on my mental health back then. Now, I do. I also worried about passing on my genes, which apparently aren't my genes. Even before I found that out, once I had you back in my life, nothing would have stopped me from building a family with you if you still wanted me."