31. Welcome to the World

March 11th 2024 - 8:37am

"Luke, baby?" You said happily, as you waddled into the living room seeing Luke laying on the cream sofa tapping away on his phone. You had just woken up to an empty bed. "Don't panic," you started and he locked his phone, and sat up so he could turn to face you. "But I'm having contractions, I was woken up at 3 with them so I've been having them for the last maybe 5 hours, but they're 4 minutes or so apart and bearable right now," Luke's smile widened.

"You think Noah will be here today?" You nodded at his question and he patted the spot on the sofa beside him and you sat down. You felt your belly tighten and rubbed it in soft circles. "Are you having a contraction?"

"Yeah, they're gradually getting stronger but I've been through this before so I think we should leave after my waters break. This labour feels like it's going to progress quickly though, so maybe call your mum to come over now so when we need to leave we can just say bye to P and leave?" He nodded and unlocked his phone, calling his mum.

"She's leaving now," you nodded and cuddled into Luke's side. It was silent for a few moments, when Luke broke it. "If he's born today there's going to be exactly a month in between P and him," you smiled at the realization that it was March 11th today.

March 11th 2024 - 1:17pm

"Luke?" You shouted from the kitchen through to the living room. You had snapped at Luke telling him to stop fussing over you and sit down while you walked to relieve the pain a little. You had decided a cup of tea might help, but just as you were about to pour the boiled kettle into the mug, a splash from between your legs stopped your movements. Luke came rushing into the kitchen and upon seeing the fluid around your feet, he rushed over to you and helped you get upstairs, change quickly and then said a goodbye to Penelope and Liz and were out the door.

"Oh my God," you groaned as a contraction took over your body, and you leaned forward in the seat to try and relieve the pain as Luke drove. You had been in the car 10 minutes and it was the most uncomfortable drive you'd ever endured.

"Breathe through it, baby. You can do this, we're going to have Noah in our arms today," he smiled. You nodded and breathed like you had learned with Penelope's labour and after 2 minutes, the contraction ended.

"This is progressing a lot quicker than P. My contractions are one minute long and 30 to 40 seconds apart. We need to get there quick, Luke," you said through your pants. He signalled to go right and you looked up to see you were already at the hospital. "Luke I'm almost in transition already! I need to get in there," you shouted. Not at Luke, it just came out as a shout which you didn't exactly mean. "I didn't mean to shout, I'm scared, it's progressing too quickly," you said, your eyes starting to tear up. Luke parked the car and jumped out, running around to grab the two bags and then to help you out.

"Y/N, I need you to calm down for me, baby. I need you to breathe, you getting upset will only upset the baby. I need you to think positive. Remember in the baby books it said that your second labour with progress a lot quicker than the first? That's all that's happening, my love. You're a pro at this, and Noah's obviously just in a hurry to meet his amazing, beautiful, loving, caring, selfless Mummy. Please, calm down," you took a few breaths and kissed Luke thankfully before nodding to say that you were calm enough. He allowed you to squeeze his hand and stop walking whenever a contraction came.

Once the receptionist had taken your name, had a look at your ID and asked you a couple of questions, a midwife appeared and showed you and Luke through to a private maternity suite. She handed you a gown and smiled at you, she seemed incredibly friendly and for that you were glad. "Hi Mrs. Hemmings, I'm Kimberley and I'll be your midwife. I'm going to ask you if you can put that gown on and I'll be back in a couple of minutes to do a vaginal exam and see how far your dilated," you smiled and nodded. You froze and leaned forward with your hands on the bed, swivelling your hips in a circle trying to relieve the pain, but it didn't really help.