Chapter 8

Navigating the dark streets with a dog in his arms, Ben speculates DJ's words.

They aren't going to let her go, not easily, at least. 

His mother needs to know, Rey is in more danger than they thought. 

His knuckles turn white from how hard he grips the wheel, jaw clenching, trying not to squeeze the pup in his anger. 

Ben does not trust the system that his mother rules. Not one bit. 

Especially when it comes to women's safety. 

If only there was a way for him to keep watch over Rey. No one would touch her, not as long as he was breathing. 

Why is she so important?

Why, Solo?

Ben shakes his head, forcing those thoughts back into the box where he keeps them.

Not quickly enough though. Flashes of Rey, young and starving, rush into his head. The words hurled at her by people he'd called friends. The rumors he'd heard about her, no longer just rumors, as he'd thought back then. 

He should've stopped it. 

He should've done something. 

But, he didn't. He did nothing but stand by and watch.

Turning the wheel left, then right, then left again as he searched for the house he'd avoided for years, he had one last thought. 

He'd do something now. 

Leaning into her dog's head, Ben rubbed his nose at the dog's ear. 

Starting with helping Dee. 

Pulling into the small, very small lot in front of the two story house, Ben spots a tiny figure on the porch. Shoving his own trepidations away, he throws the car into park. Barely managing to turn off the ignition, he's out and stretching long strides towards the petite lady. 

"Goodness, she's small," his old friend observes, "c'mon, I got a bag ready."

Ben follows wordlessly. 

Maz marches ahead, rushing past the waiting room remodeled from the former living room. Ben knows right where to go, having spent much time in this home as a kid. 

Laying Dee carefully down on the exam table, he immediately stoops down, the lights overhead allowing him to see the dog. He places his face, cheek to the table, next to hers. 

"It's okay, girl. You'll be okay."

A wet lick on the tip of his nose makes him chuckle. At the same time, tears threaten to fall. The poor thing is so skinny and sick but still offers him affection. 

Ben is so glad that Rey isn't here right now. He thinks back to how desperate she'd sounded back at the hospital. 

Hopefully, by the time she sees Dee, the pup will be healthy and healed. 

Maz is busily at work, cooing as she slips in the IV, starting the fluids that the dog is in need of. 

Ben's eyes make contact with Maz's. Well, as best they can, behind her thick glasses. 

Maz frowns, her hands roaming Dee's fur, feeling, searching, seeking how bad off the Corgi is. 

"How bad?" he asks. 

Maz sighs. 

"You got her just in time, Ben. Another day in this cold, I don't think she would've made it. Supposed to be below freezing tomorrow night. Her body fat is so low…"