Chapter 9

NOTES: Rey has her day in court. Ben watches on, helpless.

CHAPTER WARNING.

THERE IS A LOT OF ABUSE TALKED ABOUT IN THIS CHAPTER. I nearly cried writing it. There is mention of animal death. IT IS NOT DEE. It's a pet cat Rey once had.

I will provide a summary at the end. If you even think you can't handle it, I recommend you skip it. I will tell you the results at the end.

🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗🚗

The courtroom is a buzz, filled with way too many people for Ben's comfort zone. It doesn't help that the focus of their attention is on the young lady being held in the back. Suited in an orange jumpsuit with hands cuffed, Ben is nauseous at the thought.

It isn't just the thought of Rey, in cuffs and prison garb that makes him queasy.

It's also the thought of everyone watching her.

His mother, robed somewhere in her chambers, wouldn't allow Ben to see Rey. No one could see or speak to her, only her attorney and the head detective, Poe Dameron.

Rey is under protective custody, which should please him. It does. It keeps her safe.

It only displeases him because, to him, she doesn't deserve any of this.

"All rise," calls the bailiff, an older man probably pushing retirement.

Ben stands to his feet, something he's done countless times before, mostly as a kid. As much as his mother frustrates him, he still finds himself in awe of her. He'll never tell a living soul, but he is proud of her. A woman who has struggled past the reputation of her sullied father, a man that Ben had never met, to become a respected judge in their city.

Leia Organa Solo is one strong woman and Ben Solo loves her fiercely. Although if you asked him, he'd just shrug. After all, he has a reputation of his own to uphold.

Leia knows he loves her and that is all that matters.

Judge Organa Solo sits, her black robe billowing around her chair, loud enough for everyone to hear. She rolls her hand in the air, motioning for everyone to sit. Ben smirks, knowing that his mother hates the theatrics of court. Leia is all about business.

"Today, we are here to try a case that is most unusual. You will see three defendants. Two men and a woman. As per usual, I will ask…" Leia pauses, a small shudder coursing over her, imperceptible to all but Ben, as he is hyper aware of his mother at this moment.

She continues after glancing down at her hands, then back at the crowd.

"No, I will demand that all opinions of said defendants be held off until the convening of this case."

She pauses for dramatic effect. Ben hides a smirk because his mother's dramatics have always been amusing to him.

"And this case will be convened today, come hell or high water. For it is time to let the past die."

Ben's brows lift. His mother, ever the actress.

The defendants names are read. Unkar Plutt and David Jacob Splicer appear first, in shackles and the standard orange jumpsuit, their eyes downcast as they shuffle . Ben freezes at the appearance of the man he encountered when he went for Rey's dog. The man he'd threatened and possibly would've killed if the pup had not been in such distress. He did not know D.J. had been arrested. Ben breathes a sigh of relief. That low life had hurt Rey, how, he does not know.

He just knows.

He hopes and prays his mother locks him away for a very long time. Ben holds back the urge to call out to the piece of trash and remind him of their conversation.