5

Hushed whispers fill the air as you and April lean close, talking quickly between each other in quiet voices. You sit in front of each other on the wooden floor, not minding the dirty deck. April tries to contain her laughter after another thing that you say. If she's trying to keep your mind off of the previous things from the night, then it was working.

April says something in agreement to whatever you said, going along with the same conversation the two of you have been stringing along for a bit, "You know, (Y/N), you-" She starts to say something about you, but gets interrupted by loud thuds hitting the ground, causing the ground you sit on to tremble. It takes a moment for you to recognize the thumping as several pairs of footsteps hurriedly approaching your area. 

You feel your shoulders tense in worry as you look up, trying to spot who's running closer. You feel relieved when you see that it's just the turtles, and you can tell that April had the same reaction. She stands up and faces them as they get closer. You push off of the floor and also stand while she questions the others. You take a look and see that the light source from earlier was still following them, but it was noticeably dimmer.

"Guys, what's wrong?" April asks, worry sinking into her voice. Raph stands at the front of the group, blocking your view of the others, "Did something happen?" More than what had already been seen, you assume.

Raph stands still for a moment, his chest heaving as he tries to catch his breath. He doesn't speak for a long moment, he only stares at April and you. Mikey pokes their head from behind Raph, clearly alarmed, "It's Leo!" They yelp, doing it for Raph, "They got Leo!"

April takes a step forward, starting to share the same panic as all of the turtles, "Leo? How? What happened?!" No clear answer is given. 

"We had to leave, things were changing too fast," Is all that Raph says. He turns around so that he can face Mikey and Donnie. You and April are left staring at his spiky shell, "There's no need to worry. Now that we know what we're up against, we just need to go back."

"Well, we need to do it fast," Donatello speaks up. He's clearly annoyed by the fact that the group had retreated. You look at them, confused, "Leonardo... he was taken? By the puppet?"

Mikey shakes their head quickly, "No! It wasn't just that puppet lady! There were other things, too! Lots of strings, I don't even know where they would hang from... And there were these other people, they had stitches all over them! Not like they were injured, more like they were sewn together."

Michelangelo continues to explain to you what happened, but at some point their words just become a blur. They keep repeating themself in some areas and also skipping a few words here and there. Your attention is stolen whenever Raph starts to walk away from the group. Heads turn in his direction.

"It was really that dangerous...?" April asks quietly, her eyes lowering to the floor. Does she feel responsible for this? This can't be her fault, birthday curse or not. Raph nods his head, but still looks away, "In our current situation, yes. We didn't have our real weapons, and we were caught by surprise. There was a lot of dust from the new arrivals, we could hardly see. I didn't want to risk it."

"Risk what? Saving Leo?" Donnie suddenly snaps. Raph turns around in shock, the two make eye contact, "We were fine! You only asked us to retreat after we saved you," He continues, "We've fought more powerful yokai, before. You should've given us a chance."

Raphael takes a step forward, "Donnie! You saw what was going on- The walls were collapsing! If we stayed any longer, we would've all been taken," He tries to reason, but Donatello isn't taking it, "I disagree," They state plainly. Raph looks disappointed, "Leo wanted us to keep our weapons at home and-" Donnie looks alarmed, "Are you trying to shift the blame?! To Leo, of all turtles?"