The Blue Samurai

Part 1 of the Kai Trilogy

~~~~~~~~~~

Stories of the Satsuma Rebellion, especially the Battle of Shiroyama, have become commonplace since the rebellion's end. In later years, the descendants of the rebels have often been bullied by "adapters", people who have moved on from the days of the samurai. This would culminate into a "Cold War" between rebels and adapters. While this cold war would die down as time progressed, only one city in Japan would remain a battleground for the two sides: Nagasaki.

After their hectic adventure in Shulatar, the Star Alliance head over to Nagasaki, where Syaoran has entered a kendo tournament (at the recommendation of Sakura). They stay at a local hotel, where they learn about the Satsuma Rebellion and the Rebel-Adapter Cold War. Before they could head up to their room, the kids are interrupted by a group of students, who happen to be adapters. The students attempt beat up the front desk clerk, who happens to be a rebel, but before they could do so, Kai throws his kendo stick at one of them. One of the two leaders, Kosuke, tries to distract him by having him pick up his kendo stick, while the other, Katia, throws a baseball at him, but Kai quickly picks up his kendo stick and deflects it. This only sparks a brawl between Kai and the students, but Kai is able to beat them and send them running.

The next day, Sakura and Syaoran head to the auditorium, where the tournament is being held, where they meet one of the competitors, a kind girl named Kiyoko, who wants to bring an end to the war between the rebels and adapters. Meanwhile, Tomoyo and Eriol come across an archeology site, where archeologists are digging up an underground temple. Back in the city, Chiharu, Takashi, Rika, and Kai decide to scour the city to keep the rebels and adapters in check. Unfortunately, Kai gets distracted after noticing the students from earlier going into a disused warehouse, where he finds what appears to be a practice arena for adapters, but before he could alert anyone, the students notice him, and take him hostage.

Later on, the tournament (revealed to be only one night long) is underway, and Syaoran and Kiyoko find themselves in the finals, where they quietly have a conversation about stopping war, before Syaoran strikes Kiyoko's hand, winning the tournament. Meanwhile, Tomoyo and Eriol remained at the archeology site, keeping a watchful eye over the archeologists, when suddenly, an eerie swarm of black figures emerge from the temple, attacking several of the archeologists, but Tomoyo and Eriol jump in to help them, thwarting all but one figure. Back in the city, Chiharu, Takashi, and Rika encounter a group of adapters rioting outside a rebel's restaurant, and proceed to fight them off. Back at the warehouse, Kai is forced into a fight against them, before managing to escape.

News about each event spread across Nagasaki, and the kids have since told their stories to each other. However, things get worse, as the black figure from before casts a dark shadow over the city, and unleashes an army of shadow samurais. The samurais cause havoc all over Nagasaki, with the Star Alliance learning that the black figures are actually the lost spirts of the Satsuma Samurais, and the underground temple is their tomb. The kids try to fight the shadow samurais, but are overwhelmed by their sheer speed. Suddenly, Kiyoko arrives to help, and to their surprise, rebels and adapters alike join in, with Kiyoko revealing that she managed to convince everyone to put their differences aside. As the city fights off the shadow samurais, the Star Alliance fights and defeats the leading spirit, causing the shadow samurais to dissipate.

Afterwards, the Star Alliance parts ways with Kiyoko, Kosuke, and Katia, who have decided to bring an end to the Rebel-Adapter Cold War. The movie ends with the kids heading home.